Model Railroader Magazine

What did you do with your CD?

• I kept it and sent in the money so I can get future releases

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I sent it back like they asked

• I kept it, didn't send the money and I'm glad, even though they keep sending me "shame" letters.

• I kept it, didn't send the money and now I feel guilty

• Total voters

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
hooknlad said:
I hope the guys portraying to be professionals are getting a jump in salary as well. Heck DVD #1 was $9 - DVD #2 is $20 - Thats ( lemme get out my pencil and paper ) , hmmmm thats 2x's +
Wasn't #1 $9 including S/H? Isn't #2 + $20, plus S/H? That comes out to way more than 2 + when you look at total cost.:D But hey, they may be well worth the price, I can't say beyond #1. :wave:

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
okay, I'll say it again... instead of sending your CD to Kalmbach, how about sending it to me?

Oh... and if I like it, I will send you 9 bucks, or I will return it, or I just might keep it and not send you a darn thing! In that case, I'll give you my email address and you can send me "guilt" letters.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Reading you guys makes me glad I left those guys a long time ago...how sleazy have they gotten :curse: Makes me wish they'd send me one with a postage paid buisness response card. I'd wrap that puppy to a 50 lb. bag of bovine effluvium and make them pay the return postage on that. :thumb: I know, I know, notta good witness, Brother Bob, now go back to yer corner and gnaw on the bleached bones of some hapless Phillistine...

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Clerk said:
:rolleyes: CD. What CD. I have never received a CD from them before I cancelled it. I am working in N scale and they have mostly HO so I couldn't see what good it did me. :confused:
Dick,

There's some good stuff in there, even for us N scalers. When I look at a project or layout in HO, I just mentally divide by two and say, "if we do this, it'll be twice as difficult, but we get double the satisfaction out of it when we finish.
63.gif
I like to go through the ads as well. :D

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
I gave the DVD to a neighborhood teenager interested in model railroading. I wrote in my vote to keep it and not subscribe on the original replay card and have heard nothing since. Of course, any mail I recieve with bulk postage is torn in to little pieces and tossed in the trash, so it is possible that they are hounding me and I just don't know about it.

I enjoy MR and find ideas about any article I read. I find the price to be comparable with other specialty magazines I subscibe to (RACER and Popular Woodworking come to mind, each has a cover price around US$5) and ad percentage about the same.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I like Model Railroader Magazine. I like the adds because occasionally I buy something from them, and they give me an idea of the going rate for products. Once the adds are out of date, I tear out the pages with only adds on them and throw them away, and save the rest of the mag. I think they have to appeal to a wide range of readers, so I do not object to material that is repeated from the past (as long as it is not overwhelming), because newbee's and people like me who have been out of circulation for a long time can use the info.

What I object to is the sleazy way they sent out this promotion. The only thing missing is a note saying, "Mr Jones, you MAY have won $3,000,000.00". The medalion is a piece of garbage which has no historical significance, nor any intrinsic value. The video is an excerpt from their commercially available series, repackaged. The plea to "please send this video back so some poor deprived unfortunate homeless model railroader can also view it" is a pathetic "guilt trip" used by "charities?" which rake in lots of money and dole out very little, if at all. I desipse this method of requesting money, and usually have nothing to do with the companies, but I will continue to subscribe to MR unless they have more of this junk in the future.

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
As a newbie yet to modeling they did have some good tips that I havn't learned as of yet but they didnt last very long too much proto RR in my opinion I was hoping for all tips and tricks since I am a watch and learn for most things person. but as for 20 to 25 dollars worth no chance I am gonna keep it just because I didnt ask them to send it to me and I hate junk mail so its theyr loss for sending it.
Maby somone should email this forum to them so they can get the hint sign1

revandy

Nov 2, 2004
Cumberland RI
I thought it was great for the price. Yes, I did send in my $9.00, because I donated it to my local library, they were happy to receive it and included it in thier hobby section of DVD's. The librarian told me its already been loaned out 8 times, mostly to kids. I'm happy, they are happy and its a win-win situation! And its my small way to give our hobby greater exposure.

Rev. Andy

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I finally sent it back. I had "filed" it and forgotten, until I got their "nastygram". After the third "nastygram", I sent it back, and cancelled my subscription to Model Railraoder.
I had heard about what was in the DVD, and wasn't interested in viewing it. Now, I'm no longer interested in them either. There are many other "issues", that lead to my actions. Maybe, someday, they will change their editorial staff, and start publishing a hobby magazine that includes articles that address the level I've reached after fifty years in the hobby. I remember that those articles seemed so out of my reach, but still inspired me to learn and try ....I'd consider restarting a subscription when there were articles that challenging,(to me) again.
Pete