Mitsubishi A5M 1/32 now available

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Hey, guys. Here are a few photos of my new Mitsubishi A5M 'Claude' Japanese fighter in 1/32 scale. It has a span of 13.5". There are 5 pages of parts, and 14 pages of instructions w/ diagrams.

A5M_montage.jpg

Visit at: www.skylinepapermodels.com

S

shrike

I Got mine!

OK, At least I got mine ordered....

BTW I have an enameled pin with the same numbers on it.

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Yeah. I've got quite a lineup, actually. I have to juggle my designing & building with my flying schedule. My plan is to add at least one per month. I focus on important aircraft that are rarely modeled, and usually not modeled at all in paper. My planned release for next month is a Grumman Guardian AF2S, then in December, a Kaman Seasprite helicopter. I'm also just completing the basic structure for a Dehavilland Sea Hornet F.21, and a Douglas A3 skywarrior.

gwssms

Feb 7, 2004
Any chance that you might do a T-45 Trainer? I'd LOVE to have one of those.

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Hey, no prob dewayne. And to gwssms, I'd love to do a goshawk, I've always loved that airframe. I have a LOT of reference gathering before I would tackle it, though.

Aug 26, 2006
I love my Claude kit. Obviously I have no idea how it will together but "on paper" it's fantastic, for several reasons that haven't been mentioned, I think.

First and foremost is that it's been formatted such that I can print it without having to fit it to margins, shrinking the scale. It would probably be an improvement if it were formatted such that people printing to A4 would be able to do the same. While all kits aren't formatted to 8x10 so that they can print on either format is hard to understand as the problem is well-known and acknowledged.

The other GREAT thing about this kit is that it comes with 15 pages of instructions. Lots of diagrams, lots of step wise text instructions. This is a significant step forward from what usually comes with cardmodel kits.

Thanks a bundle, Sumato.

Cheers --- Larry

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Thank you very kindly for your feedback, larry! All of my kits will have a lot of instructions and diagrams. The tolerances on my kits are pretty tight, and I feel the diagrams are nessecary to 'get the picture' of how it is put together. I haven't really solved the universal printing issue yet. To make things worse, I do plan to eventually do several large kits that require a printer capable of 11"x17". But not for some time, though. The nice thing is that most european and american printers can swap out 8.5"x11" paper for A4 formatted paper interchangably when needed. (provided you have BOTH on hand) Thanks again, Larry!

shoki2000

Feb 6, 2004
Tampa, FL - USA
www.gremirmodels.com
Sumato - if you fit all parts on a 7.75" x 10.25" rectangle, everybody will be able to print without any problems. This size assures perfect fit for both A4 and Letter size paper.

If you issue kits requiring 11"x17" paper capable printer, this could pose a serious problem since most people simply don't have such printers. Second issue is availablity and price of cardstock in this size....
Every card model, even the largest, can be divided in such a way as to fit on the smaller size paper. Roman from Digital Navy did that with his ships and my Repulse and upcoming Hiei are done exactly like that.

PS
Claude looks really, really good :grin:
Now...If you think about other Jap planes, maybe I can help with plans....

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Thanks! I think you are right about scaling. I would prefer to keep everything on a printer freindly size sheet. I have several models designed that I probably won't ever release until I figure out how to devide them into A4 or 8.5"x11" sheets. I have a 1/32 scale Vickers Valiant on the boards, but It's probably impossible to reduce ALL the parts down to the smaller size. I'll figure it out, somehow. As for Japanese planes, I do plan a couple, the first of which is the Nakajima J5N1 'Tenrai' twin engined heavy fighter. My focus is to bring kits not currently available. If you've got references for this plane, I would looooooove it!

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
If any of you are interested, here are some pictures of what's coming.

1:Grumman Guardian AF2S 1/32 scale. It will have a 22" wingspan, and should be ready mid-late november

promo.jpg

2:Kaman H2S Seasprite Helicopter, 1/32 scale. It will be about 20 inches long and I should have it ready by Christmas.

promo3.jpg

Thanks for all of your support guys!

shoki2000

Feb 6, 2004
Tampa, FL - USA
www.gremirmodels.com
Sumato said:
...I have a 1/32 scale Vickers Valiant on the boards, but It's probably impossible to reduce ALL the parts down to the smaller size. I'll figure it out, somehow....

We had the same problem with P-61, Pe-2 and Repulse. It took some work but it is doable. Some parts required dividing into 2 or 3 pieces to fit..

Sumato said:
....As for Japanese planes, I do plan a couple, the first of which is the Nakajima J5N1 'Tenrai' twin engined heavy fighter. My focus is to bring kits not currently available. If you've got references for this plane, I would looooooove it!

Excellent!!!!
PM me your e-mail address, I see many Hinomarus on the horizon :grin:

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Thanks HueyDriver! I would love to see your builds. And to NOBI, I am a happily registered 3ds Max user. I won't design models that are currently or widely available. You'll never see me design an F-16, F-18, F-15, Mig-29... you get the picture. I have always felt that one of the strengths of paper modeling is the availability of interesting and rare topics. That is the tradition I intend to carry. Thanks, all!

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
You are happily welcome. I'd love to see an F4B, myself. I do plan eventually to get a Curtiss P6 Hawk online.