miner cart

Soul Embrace

Jun 5, 2006
decatur, alabama
do any of you know where i can buy a miner cart kinda like the one pictured below?

minercar.jpg

it don't have to look exactly like this i'm just looking for a miner cart to add to my layout that i'm planning.

thanks

Soul Embrace

Jun 5, 2006
decatur, alabama
shaygetz said:
That would be a great first time kitbash/scratchbuild. Some N scale wheels and sheet styrene and you're off and running.

Try this from Walther's if you still want a kit>>> http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/254-43

thanks for the link, i'm not that good at building something from scratch so i will go with the kit from walthers. i'm going to wait till i'm going to order more stuff cause shipping is more than the cart cost.

Soul Embrace

Jun 5, 2006
decatur, alabama
jim currie said:
are you doing hard rock or coal mine ?

to tell you the truth i haven't even thought about that. i was watching underworld: evolution sunday night and they had a mine track in it and that's what gave me the idea. i do plan on doing a coal area on my layout since i have a good bit of open hoppers. so with that said it will be a coal mine.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I think what Jim was getting at is that, that is a hardrock cart. Coal, unless an early start-up was quickly mechanized and used larger rail cars, or conveyors to move vast quantities of coal vs. smaller amounts of gold or silver ore. Hardrock mining didn't have the convienience of large rooms as is more typical of coal mining and tends to follow veins that are typically more vertical and are confined to narrow tunnels. Most hardrock mines veins were/are rarely more than a few feet thick (there are exceptions) and the cost of blasting large rooms out of solid rock would be costly, therefore the tunneling was as narrow an as minimal as possible.

AS for contemporary hardrock gold mining, they just remove the mountain, not unlike strip mining. It's much cheaper and low grade ores can be worked economically. If you want to see an example of this form of mining do a search on Cripple Creek & Victor Colorado.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Zedob is correct that type of car (cart) was used mostly in hard rock mines coal cars tended to be larger and most early ones were made out of wood.will dig through my old photos and see if i can find some pics of them .

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Roco does this kind of mining carts, they're H0e (9mm/N scale tracks). They have many different types and also matching locos. I don't want to "steal" somebody elses pictures. The website is www.roco.co.at, they have a english site as well, look for the link on the top left. Next klick "box car", then "track" and chose H0e. I hope it'll help you.

Tobias

Soul Embrace

Jun 5, 2006
decatur, alabama
caliban said:
Roco does this kind of mining carts, they're H0e (9mm/N scale tracks). They have many different types and also matching locos. I don't want to "steal" somebody elses pictures. The website is www.roco.co.at, they have a english site as well, look for the link on the top left. Next klick "box car", then "track" and chose H0e. I hope it'll help you.

Tobias

i like this one but now i just need to fine somewhere in the US to order one.

thanks for posting the info.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
If you can't find 'em in the US, even not on eBay, try it on eBay Germany or send me a PM. There are about 70.000 items listed in eBay Germany for H0 scale, there shall be some of those carts. Search for "34505" or "Kohlenlore". I can help if you wanna make contact to a only german speaking seller.

Tobias

Soul Embrace

Jun 5, 2006
decatur, alabama
caliban said:
If you can't find 'em in the US, even not on eBay, try it on eBay Germany or send me a PM. There are about 70.000 items listed in eBay Germany for H0 scale, there shall be some of those carts. Search for "34505" or "Kohlenlore". I can help if you wanna make contact to a only german speaking seller.

Tobias

thanks will do when i get ready to order it.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
You're rght Russ, but Walthers list's it as sold out. I've found severall in eBay Germany yesterday, and I guess there is one of them somewhere hidden deep in a box in the basement. If it'll come to my mind where I put it in, I'll post a set of pictures. But won't promise it!

Tobias