2. Scale : 1:33
3. Publisher : Maly Modelarz 2/98
4. Designer : N/A
5. Distributor : Don't know....

Cover

The kit.
The kit contains 14 pages.
Here are all of them.

This is an old Maly kit and the parts looks kind of rough.
Instructions are few and might be a bit confusing.
So I will concider this kit as a collectors item :)

P

paulhbell

Don't take this the wrong way, but someone could copy the pages and build the model themself's. I would edit a couple of pages out of the post if I were you.

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
Yes I was aware of that, so I took the shots from an angle.
If anyone should try to copy this and try to build a model out of it...
I'd really like to see the result :)

P

paulhbell

But it's got to be breaking copyright, scaning them or taking a photo, then putting them on a website. I have scaned a bought model, to do a practice build, but have never put the scan's online.

It's a bit like scaning a Harry potter book and putting it online.

P

paulhbell

Nice one josve. I am sure someone would have tried to copy them.

If you build the havoc, good look.

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
I follow your thoughts Paul!
I see what you ment better now :)

I'm NOT going to build it!!
I'll just keep it as an collectors item :)

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
*builds helicopter from copies*

And VOILA!!!! the Havoc by Van Gogh! =P

I saw on a model site someone selling old maly kits for like 50-200 bucks each? Are these actually collectable?

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Stev0 said:
*builds helicopter from copies*

And VOILA!!!! the Havoc by Van Gogh! =P

I saw on a model site someone selling old maly kits for like 50-200 bucks each? Are these actually collectable?

I don't think so - except perhaps for the gullible. My impression is that Maly was a state run enterprise and produced print runs which didn't have much to do with market demands (perhaps our Polish members could fill in the details). The outcome seems to be that there are a large number of old Maly kits around from overproduction. I guess eventually the excess supply will eventually disappear and they'll become collectable then - judging by the prices of Maly kits on eBay this hasn't happened yet. The caveat is if the low quality paper of the old Maly kits used survives until then - I don't think there's a market for a handful of paper flakes that used to be a Maly kit.

Regards,

Charlie

popala

Aug 27, 2004
Arkansas
www.strangeplace.com
I don't mean to be rude and contradict you Charlie, but quite a few of Maly kits have already fallen into the collectible category - the very first issue 1/1957, is fetching between $300 and $500 (sometimes more) on auction sites. I don't know exact prices but I do know that kits from 50s and 60s are worth a lot of money. Look at the papermodelstore.com at some of the prices of both old Maly and MON kits.

This is no different than comic books in the US - many people in Poland grew up with Maly and they try to assemble a collection of all Maly issues ever published.

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
popala said:
I don't mean to be rude and contradict you Charlie, but quite a few of Maly kits have already fallen into the collectible category - the very first issue 1/1957, is fetching between $300 and $500 (sometimes more) on auction sites. I don't know exact prices but I do know that kits from 50s and 60s are worth a lot of money. Look at the papermodelstore.com at some of the prices of both old Maly and MON kits.

This is no different than comic books in the US - many people in Poland grew up with Maly and they try to assemble a collection of all Maly issues ever published.

Fair point - (rude only applies when you attack the man rather than the argument) I don't think it contradicts my thesis that the Maly kits become collectable when the supply falls to the point where they become rare. It sounds like an investment opportunity to collect the (currently) reasonably priced kits from the 70s and wait....

It would be interesting to know exactly how big the Maly print runs were in comparison to modern print runs - I suspect they would have been pretty large.

Regards,

Charlie

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
SteveO, anything on the planet is collectable to the right people. I saw a "collection" of Mr. Peanut objects go for 100s of US dollars at an auction once. God only knows what they saw in a peanut butter advertisement Icon but one man's trash is another's treasure and all that. As for being perishable, the actor Joe Pantollioni once bought a vintage cigar made during the US Cival war for thousands of dollars, then he smoked the thing during some interview! So some Malys are going for unsightly prices!

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
I also have this Maly kit. As for being collectible ($), I received it as a freebie when I ordered from papermodelstore. I do plan to build it, maybe this summer.

Brad

P

paulhbell

StevO and charliec, we all jump on the band wagon when someone tries to sell copies of card models on ebay and in effect steel money of the card model companies. So when josve put the photos online some 'idiots' out there would have tried to build it or copy it and flog it on ebay. He has done a good thing now by putting copyright over the photos.

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
Fishcarver said:
Johnny:
Are you planning on turning into a chopper-meister on us?
:)

Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to seeing what one of my favorite Master Modelers will do with this and the other kits that I now know are in your "build queue"

Regards from Canada!

Your friend,
Jim

I'm not turning into some heavy chopper building :)
If I'm going to do a chopper , it will be the AH-64A apache or the RAH66 Comanche.
My build queue are already set for this year and next year....so not many surprises I'm afraid :)