Message for BobMcD (Handlaid Track)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Bob,
Just letting you know how the trackwork was going.
Last night I laid about 20" of track on a scrap piece of styrofoam (the blue insulation stuff). I really like using foam for my scenery & track base, & that was one of the concerns I had about laying my own track.
Everything I've read says you need Pliobond to glue rail to ties, but I have been unable to locate any of this stuff, so I did a little innovating, & used some slow-curing CA.
First, I drew a center line by hand in a gradual curve. Then I cut some ties out of strip wood, & attached them with white glue, centering, & spacing them by eye (this is primarily a logging road - precise tie location is not really a concern).
I gave the glue a couple of hours to dry, then roughed out with pencil marks where the first rail would go. I then bent the rail to match the curve, put a drop of CA on top of each tie, & stuck the rail down. Then I used the track gauge & the pecil to rough in the position of the other rail, bent the rail, applied the glue, & stuck it down. Before the CA had set, (you have to work very fast here) I used the gauge to allign the second rail to the first down the entire length of track.
This procedure worked great, & I have what seems to be a rock solid piece of track. I rolled a couple of boxcars up & down - smooth as silk!
Now I'm really looking forward to building the turnout kits!

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 02-14-2001).]

BobMcD

Dec 27, 2000
Boston MA, USA
Visit site
Charlie,

That's very cool! I'm glad it worked so well!

I've been experimenting with styrofoam (I could only find the pink stuff at Home Depot), and I think you're on to something. I also tried out several of the products Woodland Scenics puts out. The WS stuff and methods DO work well, it's just that it's very expensive. I have discovered that I like their flexible roadbed very well. I put it on top of the styrofoam and below the track, and it certainly does make a nice silent support for the track. Lets one appreciate sound effects.

I have always taken a very deliberate (slow) approach to constructing turnouts (switches), and I don't know how that will mesh with using CA. On the other hand, CA is a great adhesive, and as you say rock solid. Maybe you can carefully align the track and then swoop in with the adhesive fast enough. Glad to hear the track-laying is working. It's impressive to folks in and out of the hobby, but to me it's easier than most think.

Bob McD

PS: Charlie, if you just post a message like you started this topic with, as an add-on to the original topic, it brings that topic to the top, and lets others follow the discussion more easily.

[This message has been edited by BobMcD (edited 02-15-2001).]

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
You're right Bob, I don't know what I was thinking. I'll follow you up on the original thread, & maybe this one will die quietly