Making Ice

bobaloo000

Jan 16, 2005
I know, I know, just add water and place in freezer.

I want to make a frozen lake but can’t find any resources. Anyone who has done this and is willing to share, I'm willing to listen.

Sempak

Jun 19, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
What about using your favourite water making resin (envirotex etc) to make a normal lake and then using fine grain sandpaper to rough up the surface so that it does all opaque and frosted looking. You could also try painting the surface of the lake with some kind of paint that will get rid of the shiny transparent surface of the lake.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
I didn't know a lake could freeze! :D Ha Ralph, I heard it was -54 in Mn. this morning :eek: :eek: :eek: Seriously though, I read somewhere that sandblasted glass (aka obscured glass) makes a good "frozen lake".

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I hope that was a "windchill" temperature!!!! If it was actual air temp then it was probably up by International Falls or Warroad...towns that compete for the title "The Nations Ice Box". Only 12 below or so in St. Paul. :)
Ralph

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Got in late on this thread but the sandblasted plexiglass idea sounds great. I've "frosted" a few windows for O-scale passenger cars when I used to paint, and the effect is very good. Spread around a light dusting of your favorite for snow (I use baking soda), bring out the skaters, and I think it's time for a hot chocolate!