Macross II VF2SS by Janx

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls' started by Getter1, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello all,

I am helping Janx with a new design of his, the VF2SS Valkyrie from Macross II.

IMO it is THE best Valk. ever in all the Macross series, though the Macross World treats M2 as a "What If" :p

Anywho I was going to start this thread last night but being a model in development I wanted to clear it with Janx and he gave the go ahead this morning.

The model is fairly high poly and partsy but I think such a complicated design couldn't be done without being that way. It's not as scary as one would 1st think by looking at the parts sheets. It is not for a beginer though. Experience with advanced aircraft models is a plus here to.

The model is all modular so it can be assembled in any 1 of the 3 modes. This makes the assembly even easier as you build each section and then bring them all together. That being said I decided to tackle the hardest area to build 1st, the nose and forward fuselage section.

In the pics is the build up process of the nose and chest plate/forward fuesalage. Note the model as is currently has no tabs. I cut a lot of strips of regular paper for use as tabs inside the parts so you have nice, tight butt joints (just like many aircraft models use). I think it is a good idea for other builders of this model to do the same as tabs can distort the parts which could be very bad on this model. The high poly and complex nature of the design requires you to be a precise as possible.

Enjoy the pics and also note this build has no textures (but that won't stop me from breaking out the ol paint brushes and spray cans :p ).

G1

Attached Files:

2. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here's more pics.

I have the cockpit assembled and but no shots yet. Also I want to paint it before installation.

G1

Attached Files:

3. cybrsqrl

cybrsqrl New Member

That's fantastic. About time someone made an M2 valk. I can't wait to see the finished model.
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

that looks like avery good model! a good build also. look forward to seeing more!
  5. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

I agree it is already starting to look pretty cool so the finished product is gonna have to be awsome!!! :cool:

Keep us posted. :thumb:
  6. Janx

Janx Member

Lol I am looking forward to this too, my first attempt at making the legs and arms left me screaming with frustration, designing seems to be one thing, making it I'll leave to the experts < bows to getter1 > It is already looking better than I had hoped.

No textures yet, not really a lot of point with the changes that may come about.
  7. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words :D

I have the cockpit built, painted, and installed but need to do a few touch ups before I take shots. So I'm posting the dry fitting pics I took before painting.

G1

Attached Files:

9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello All,

I managed to get the rear Fuselage mostly complete today as well as the wings. The cockpit is not completly finished but enough to do the install. I've dry placed the Fuesalage sections and wings to give a sense of scale here :D She's gonna be a good size.

G1

Attached Files:

10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

say, this is looking real good!!
  11. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

G1, you rock!
  12. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

very impressive so far! I'm liking the amount of detail that's going into it already, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result!
  13. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry for a lack of progress and pics latley. Had a big family mass B-Day event this weekend and my own B-Day yesterday so today I'm doing a back-up of chores :p

I hope to have something to show tonight :D

G1
  14. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Ok Got a little bit more done today. The front fuselage intakes and leg mount blocks are completed. The intakes are installed but the leg mount blocks ae only taped in place for the shot. There are diffrent blocks depending on which mode you are building. Since this is 1st a test bed model I'm not locking it into any particular mode just yet.

Now that certian distractions are out of the way I can focus on this project agian, sorry Janx for the delays :(

G1

Attached Files:

15. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Wow, the cockpit looks amazing! When you slap some paint on that, you'll go back and ask yourself, this was paper? :)
  16. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello All,

I know I know, it's been a bit since I updated this thread :p

After many false starts (sorry Janx) real life has slowed down enough to get back to modeling :)

I have built hte B.Pak (minus the 2 outrigger pods ATM), neck, and head (minus the guns ATM).

I taped the components together in Battroid and Fighter modes to give a sense of the design ;)

I'm lovin this model Janx :D :D :D

Oh I showed my buddy in Pittsburgh some shots of the kit so far and he was quite impressed which for a die-hard plastic modeler a compliment on paper is very hard to com by :D Janx that says a lot for your work :D

G1

Attached Files:

17. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Got one more shot.

G1

Attached Files:

18. voltron5

voltron5 Member

jawdropholy s@#!, two words comes to mind...simply amazing! Both in the design and build. Good job guys!:inw:
  19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Thanks V5 :D

I've been waiting to build this sucker for some time since I found out Janx was doing it.

This is THE coolest Valk. in the Macross world IMO followed only by the original VF1-D and the VF2-Ja.

G1
  20. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

jawdrop Wow....very cool, hope I have a chance to build that one myself!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.