looking for pics of ww2 german rail gun

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
i been looking for pic on the german rail gun to scratch build i want to do it in both ho scale and in n scale the one i want to do is big butha the biggest gun rail gun in world war 2 i found one in walther but it is way to short i have some pics of the one i want to do but they are taken after we blow it up if anyone can halp with pics of this on or any other it would be helpful

the name of the gun i want to do is the (dora) it was the biggest one of them all

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hi Scooby,

here's a pic of the Dora. With this gun you have quite a project at hand!

A few technical data:
Caliber of the gun: 80 cm (31.5"), barrel length 32 m (106 ft), weight of the barrel alone greater than 400 tons. In her career 'Dora' only fired 48 shots!
Weight of the whole gun with carriage: 1350 tons! :eek: And the carriage ran (ran??? crept!!) on 40 axles, running on two RR tracks side by side. The crew for this gun alone: 4000 men! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW, there is a book "German Railroad Guns in Action" by Squadron/Signal Publications.

Didn't find a plan somewhere for the moment. If I do, I'll be back. Now keep us posted about the progress of your BIG project - it's about 12" long in N scale!

Ron

Attachments

• dora.jpg
    dora.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 302

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Just found out that a manufacturer 'FCM' in Germany (I guess) makes a resin/aluminum kit in H0. See picture below. However - it costs around $500 (wihout P&P) :(

Here are a few more pics of the gun. The captions are in German, but the pics are self-explaining.

Ron

Attachments

• dora-kit.jpg
    dora-kit.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 298

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
thanks for some of the pics guys i know i have a big task on hand but i think when it is all done and i get it how i want it. it would make a good talk peace on the layout or in the train room i went out to day and got the axels i needed for this and also got brass tubing and styrene i spent about 150.00 on what i hope would do it in n scale i was hopeing that i could get a side view of it and the total lenght and hight.i found some pics on the net but they all show it in the wrong way

ron on that ho scale kit is their a web site for the company or do they have any more pics of it

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
There is a website of FCM (I guess that it is the manufacturer, found it per Google), but it's offline at the moment - got no connection. :confused:
The site must be in German, however.

Hope this helps

Ron

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Looks like something absnut would build :D

Nice pics Ron, that you in front of hte first? :D

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1167/edora.html

Welcome to the-gauge acsxfan1!

I have pics of a german railgun .. its at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Md

Been there on business, didn't drink the water. Spooky place if you have any fear of chemicals. I did some work there in the building where they gave the GI's LSD during the Vietnam war.