Looking for maps, anyone know?

Hookups

Mar 11, 2006
Berlin Hts Ohio
Hey,

What I am looking for is a map of the NS line out off Pittsburgh. Also, if anyone knows, where did that lead to? I am planning a point to point, but I am new to the hobby and don't have all the lines down.

I plan on modeling that line in the 70's, when Conrail had it, any good websites?

Thanks,
Jerry

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Do you know how many former Conrail lines went "out of Pittsburgh"? You'll need to be a little more specific than this...

~Brian

Hookups

Mar 11, 2006
Berlin Hts Ohio
Sorry, I am new to the hobby, and as far as railfaning and the terms used, I am in the dark.

My basic question was where can I find maps for that area around Pittsburgh on the internet.

Jerry

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
If nothing else look on ebay for RR maps under books I have bought a great RR maps book for my area the midwest has all the highways and then just the rr lines on the next page other then that just type RR maps in the browseer and see what you can come up with or another thing I have done is go to the local libary and look in the maps books of the town you might come acrost a book that has the right stuff.
Hope this helps a lil
Mike

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
Hi Jerry,

If you don't know the exact line, then just model something that has a feel to the region you wish to model. If it is the big main line between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh then that line had 4 mainlines which Conrail later reduced to 3 main tracks.

You can't go wrong with a double track main line passing through tree covered mountains with bridges over streams and tunnels. If you wish to model something closer to Pittsburgh then Walthers makes a whole steel mill complex that comes in two kits, one for the rolling mill and the other for the blast furnace.

Also if your going to model 1970's Conrail, then there will be very few Blue CR engines, most of the locomotives were still painted for either Penn Central, Reading, Lehigh Valley and Erie Lackawanna, etc. This include a lot of rolling stock including Pre-Penn Central cars like Pennslyvania and New York Central.

This link has pics of an N-Scale Conrail Pittsburgh Mainline.
Maybe you get some ideas here
http://www.portsmouthbranch.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1

Hookups

Mar 11, 2006
Berlin Hts Ohio
Thanks for all the posts! I am going to start looking at the links tonight.

What I am looking for is a line that is running by my buddy's house that lives up in PA, about 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh. It is a NS line and from what he is saying that it is pretty much a single main now. Which is fine with me, but if they ran double mains, back when Conrail had them, then I will put them in. There is also a mill that has, I guess you would call it some kind of short line, that just runs from three seperate mills.

Thanks for all the info on PC and others. My father-in-law models PC, New York, and Erie Lackawanna, so he helps me in the department.

Thanks, you all have been a great help!
Jerry

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Jerry: can I recommend SPV's Railroad Atlas of North America. It's published in England (!) but should be available at a good hobby shop (I bought mine at Horseshoe Curve). The volume Northeast covers Pennsylvania and some neighbouring states. They show track outings and yards, and the rivers, but don't give single or multiple tracks. Nor highways. What town is your friend in?

Hookups

Mar 11, 2006
Berlin Hts Ohio
60103-Thanks for the info on the book.

My buddy lives in Natrona Ht, about 20 north of Pittsburgh. I lived in Pittsburgh back in the late 90's going to art school. During that time, I fell in love with the city and the landscape around it. That is why I picked to model around Pittsburgh. Picking Conrail for my fleet comes from seeing Conrail growing up. Like I said before, my father-in-law runs PC, and I am enjoying learning the history behind the railroads.

Once again, thanks for all the info! Keep it coming!

Jerry

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
The line through Natrona is not the "Pittsburgh Line" main but rather a parallel secondary route called the "Conemaugh Line." It breaks off the mainline at CP Conpit and runs northwest to Freeport and then southwest to rejoin the main near downtown at CP Penn.