Log bunks

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Hi,

In N-scale it is hard to find log cars, therefore I decided to convert my 40' fishbelly flat cars to log cars.
Has anyone an idea how and from which material I can build these log bunks ? ( I need 4 on each flat and 12 flats to convert).
I tryed spare rail bended in U-shape but it looks very oversized.
Any idea is welcome.

Paul

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Paul,

I can't remember what company it is but I think it was on the Atlas forum someone mentioned log cars are coming out soon. I also was looking for log cars last year but no one had any at the time. One of the guys on this forum told me how to make some out of cabooses and they worked out great. Of course they don't look as good as log buggies so I'm also hoping someone brings them back on the market. If you go to the Academy Shamas shows you how to make logging buggies and his work is great to say the very least. I'm sure someone will jump in and offer more advice so I'll go up to the Atlas forum and find out just who is coming out with logging buggies and hopefully when. I'll get back to later. Have fun. Ron :)

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Again Paul,

Micro-Trains is supposed to release there new logging buggies in December of this year. I was told some of the guys already have theres reserved so I think I will do that myself. Hope I have helped you out some. Ron ;)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Paul,
You can make your own in N-scale using my drawings if you wish.
All my structures are made just this way. Print out the drawing which is N-scale size and glue it to card. Then wood the sides and make a roof.
a19a.jpg

Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• bunks.jpg
    bunks.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 163

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks Ron ,I' ll go to the Microtrains website and see what I can find there.

Thanks Shamus, I saved your drawing to print it later, but what I meant by log bunks, are the vertical stakes that keep the logs on the car, and the cross members on top of the flatcar for the logs to rest on.

Paul

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Hi Billk,

I must admit I have only code 80 spare rails to try.
I guess code 40 would look much better.
After some thoughts maybe square styrene 1mmx1mm (0.04""x0.
04") glued in U-shape could also serve the purpose.

Thanks anyway for the tip Billk.
Paul

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hey Paul,

I went to the Microtrains website and could'nt find anything on the logging buggies. How did you make? I was hoping to see a picture of one before placing an order. Maybe someone else knows where to get more info. Ron :confused:

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Ron,
I couldn't find them on the Microtrains website either, I wonder if the rumor is true.

Vic,
It is hard to find PlastaStruct in hobbyshops in Belgium, if I want something for my railroad I need to order it in the USA and they need a minimum money order.
Guess I have to wait till I order new rolling stock to include this small items.

Paul

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by csxnscale
Ron,
I couldn't find them on the Microtrains website either, I wonder if the rumor is true.

Vic,
It is hard to find PlastaStruct in hobbyshops in Belgium, if I want something for my railroad I need to order it in the USA and they need a minimum money order.
Guess I have to wait till I order new rolling stock to include this small items.

Paul
If you just require Plastuct shipping to the USA, my LHS will do it for you.
http://www.shrewsburymodels.co.uk/
Shamus
wink.gif

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi again Paul,

I finally got the low down on the Microtrains logging buggies today. I E-mailed Marlin at N-Scale Supply and he told me Microtrains is going to release the anouncement in December that they in fact will be making logging buggies. Theres suppose to a picture of them on the back cover of MRR this month in fact. So I would imagine they will be on the market sometime next year. Needless to say someone spun me a tall tale that they had some on order. Ha' I no longer get that magazine as I was plum out of storage room for anymore. Hopefully someone will jump in who has seen the picture of it and give us a report. Have fun building your own as its a fun project. Ron ;)

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Ron,

I e-mailed a question to Alan Curtis (from Curtismodels) if he sells the log bunks installed on the bulkhead flatcars he sells, as a separate kit. would be nice I think 4 log bunks in a kit for a fair price.
I wonder what his answer will be.

Paul

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Paul,

I think thats the outfit I contacted about two years ago. I'm sure he has a website and I will try and find it. They were nice looking kits but if I remember right they came with no trucks. He also sold finished ones and they cost at that time twenty four dollars. His kits were about fourteen dollars. The website had real nice pictures of his products and hopefully someone can tell us where it is. Ron :)

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Paul

That was'nt the website I was thinking of but I finally found the website. Check this one out cliff@smallscalelogistics.com The Model Die Cast conversion looks really neat and I sure would like to buy one and some buggy kits but from my understanding resin products are very fragile? What do you think and maybe someone could jump in and give me there opinion. Ron :confused:

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Ron,

They look nice to me. Maybe you could order one kit and see for yourself if it suits your needs, you can allways order more.
For myself I need a more modern logging style, thats why I ordered 12 kits of log bunks from Alan Curtis.
I think they will look great on my 40' fisbelly flatcars.

Paul

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hey Paul,

Have fun building those logging cars as it should be a good project. I don't what I'm going to yet. I hopeing to see a picture of the new Microtrains in the near future as next month is the release month. I'm working on the mining end of my layout just now and it will be a while before I move on to the logging end. I just got a little excited when I heard someone was coming out with some logging buggies. Well have fun and thanks for all your input. Ron :)