Layout progress

Dingo69

Jan 3, 2006
Hi Lester,

Nice someone saw my posting :D

A bit hard to explain, will try now and next visit take a picture.

All it is a ramp which is set up the same as buying the bridge supports which each one is slowy higher than the next (link below) and then laying a softwood on top of it.

http://www.marklin.com/marklin_pdb.html

Another type is here on the forum (ok I admit this is a big example but the idea is the same using wood supports.

http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7071&stc=1

By doing this it gives you less work and it flexiable you can shave a bit mor on or even add a bit more to.

Cheers

L

lester perry

Dingo69. I am very aware of this way of building a layout, that is how mine is built. It is very economical and I know of several other local MRRs that used the same system.
Les

Dingo69

Jan 3, 2006
Lester,
I know it's common, I was just wondering why people stay with the foam idea as it seems so much extra work, is there advantage and disadvantage for each?

JKountz

Dec 31, 2005
Wild Wonderful WV
Dingo, you know whats odd is that Im a professional cabinetmaker/woodworker and I went the foam route rather than wood simply because it was all new to me. I thought it would be something cool to work with after building with wood for so long. I cant really give you a good A-B comparison but I can tell you that the foam is very forgiving and easy to change out if you want to move something. Just fire up the old wire cutter and go to town! I suppose if one was using all wood for the layout, the use of screws instead of nails would allow changes as well. Both methods of course do a fine job its all in what you want right?

Jim

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Dingo,
I used foam over plywood for a couple of reasons. My entire layout is on wheels so I can pull it out from the wall to get to the back side. The plywood acts as a diaphram to distribute the pulling load to the various legs. I also hadn't finalized my track plan when I did the benchwoork. Lastly, I had a whole bunch of foam available free.
Doc

L

lester perry

I like the wood myself. I use the foam as a substitute where weight is critecle ( ever how you spell it) I am not all thet thrilled with it, but havent used it that much. I will try to load a pic to show how I used foam. For my mountains I just put up screen and glue deer moss to it, no plaster. It is soft if you push it it moves no big deal. It was easier, faster and more economical. I will have to load a pic for that also.
Les