Latest project cars

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
Have for some time been painting/repainting a consist of the old Roundhouse Pullman Palace Cars.
Being a Great Northern modeler from day one but living in the southwest and finding myself the owner of 2 Santa Fe steamers from BLI and have ordered the GN. S2 that should be out next year decided I could kill two birds with one stone. Lettered one side GN. and the other Santa Fe so depending which way their running have two passenger trains instead of just one :mrgreen:
And seeing as I have 3 of the observation cars named one after my wife's late Grandfather The Johan Carlson a wonderful old gentleman who came to this country in the early 1900s for the car number used his year of birth 1897. on this car experimented with the tarpaper roofing using tissue paper with Pollyscale Oily Black as the glue with several more coats on top.
100_1305.jpg

100_1298.jpg
://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/lkemling/100_1302.jpg[/IMG]
100_1300.jpg

100_1299.jpg
100_1297.jpg

BillW

Jun 17, 2007
Calgary, AB
Hi,

That's a beautiful set of classic Roundhouse cars you've prepared. I love the idea of double paint schemes. It seems like an innovative way to double your railway efforts. I've been wanting to try the roof technique you explained with embedding tissue in a generous layer of paint.

I have an undecorated Roundhouse Pullman combine kit just like the in the first photo you posted. Some fellow with a bunch of estate sale finds sold it to me at the train show three years ago. I've yet to assemble it since it doesn't really fit in with any of my other equipment. None the less, I'll finish someday since it looks like a fun project. I recall the kit including some neat dainty looking scroll-work window transfers that looked to be a challenge to install well.

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
Bill
you can make it into your own private car that way the time frame of your layout doesn't really matter.
As for the fancy scroll work ,those are dry transfers that really were't that good even years ago when they were fresh.The good news is that microscale Decals has that exact sheet in their h.o line

Attachments

• 460-87-1111-2.jpg
    460-87-1111-2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 108

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
I agree the Pullman Palace cars are exceptional models. I recently painted the four cars I had, applied decals (same as the set shown above) and gave the cars a gloss overcoat. Cost of the cars back when I bought them was $6.50.

09May 010.JPG 09May 016.JPG