Kitbasher's Diary - HOn30 Tank Engine

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Drew1125, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

This is a project I began simply as a practice exercise, to see if I could build some type of steam loco for my HOn30 layout that was in any way presentable…(this is still a work in progress, & the jury is still out)
    The logical starting point was of course, an N scale steam engine…I didn’t want to start cutting up a really nice model, so I started with this old Atlas 0-8-0 that I’ve had laying around for some time…Does it run? Weeelll, sorta…but that isn’t really an issue for this project…
    I’m doing this as one of my “kitbasher’s Diaries”, because I want to emphasise that this is strictly a practice exercise for me…it is in no way intended to be a “how-to”, because frankly, I don’t know how-to? It’s my hope that this will teach me a thing or two…And I’m a gregarious guy, & a little public embarrassment has never bothered me that much…in fact, it might actually help…?
    Anyway, here’s what I started with…this is the bare chassis of the 0-8-0...
    [​IMG]
    My first step was to fashion some type of cab & boiler to cover the chassis…I made a sort of cab from styrene, & a rough boiler from a piece of an old N scale tank car…
    [​IMG]
    Next, I cobbled together a saddle tank from styrene, & a couple of odds & ends…(I decided on a tank engine, because this loco had its tender cannibalized a long time ago…)
    [​IMG]
    I’ve removed the original pilot, added a cab roof & rear fuel bunker…(Since taking this photo, I’ve removed the upper portion of the rear cab wall, to correct the sag in the roof…)
    [​IMG]

Btw…nothing has been attached to the chassis yet…just test-fitting…I won’t attach anything until I’ve done some painting, & added more parts & details…
  2. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

ah the birth of a critter :D :thumb:
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Sweet:wave: I can think of no better fate or use for a N scale locomotive than to be fodder for HO scale projectsjawdrop :p :D sign1 hamr
  4. Catt

Catt Guest

Gee Bob,I feel the same way about HO locos for 0n30 projects :D :D :D :D :D
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I've added a few details to the boiler/tank area...
    [​IMG]
  6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I've gotten a little more done on this one since the last post...
    I know it's kinda 'hinkey' lookin', but here is Matthysen Timber Co # 5 as of today...

Attached Files: