Kato locomotives different speeds

Inder

Aug 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hello guys,

I need your help with this problem.

I just purchased a Kato GE AC4400CW on ebay and it's used.
It runs great at slow and fast speeds.

I also purchased a new Kato GE C44-9W on ebay as well.

The problem is, I'm currently running a DC system but the locomotives run at different speeds. The C44-9W is significantly faster than the AC4400.

I don't see anything wrong with the slower loco and it actually runs very smooth even at a very slow speed. The only thing I can think of is that the motor might be a different production. I don't think they're geared different and I don't see any articles about these machines being geared differently.

I guess I could try replacing the motor?

Thanks for your hellp.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I run a straight DC operation to and have found differences in Kato engine speeds. I don't have the time or inclination to start swapping out motors - so when I hook them together in a consist, I try to let the faster diesel pull the cars and the slower one lead. But I always look at the coupler between the diesels...if the trailing diesel is pushing the leading diesel's coupler, I either add more weight to the entire train to "weigh down" the faster one or I choose another diesel match-up.

Inder

Aug 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for your help.
I was gonna do the opposite and have the faster one pull the slower one but after reading your post I can see why my idea doesn't make sense and your idea is more sound. I will do that.

BNSFtheLeader

Aug 10, 2003
Boynton Beach (WPB Area)
Visit site
I have had this problem before when buying used engines one situation for instance was 3 C44-9's that ran quite different than each other so I took some model grease and oil and greased the Brass flywheel gear and the truck gears ( very liberally ) and oiled the flywheel gear bearings. the grease being so thick bogs down on the motor and after that they ran right with the new one again....

Hope this helps....