Just a quick question about track spaceing?

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Hello everyone, i have a question.... How much space is required if i want to place 3- 2" wide background buildings with 2 tracks serviceing them? What im talking about is the recomended width of space. I will add a picture of the proposed space where im talking about. The spur is dropping down off of the main, if that helps any! Right now i have 6 1/2" inches from back drop to the track center of the main line. Maybe the pictures will explain it better. Thanks for the help!:wave:
steve

Attachments

• looking down main.jpg
    looking down main.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 105
  • looking down.jpg
    looking down.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 106
  • overall view.jpg
    overall view.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 104

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Well,

What you have there looks right...! ;) IIRC, the NMRA spacing for HO scale, standard gauge tangent track is 2", but you may want to leave a little more to allow fingers in there in the event of derailment. You may also want to check if I am right at www.nmra.org ;) hamr

Andrew

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Thanks MasonJar, i appreciate the help. Any ideas as to what type of back ground buildings would be a good source of traffic in a limited space? Im planning on useing the car card system on my layout. Thanks!
steve:wave:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Well, again what you have is not bad - a "widget" factory ;) with two doors spaced for whatever length boxcar you like to run.

As for an actual factory, it could be anything from furniture to cold storage (in which case you might run reefers full of produce).

Take a look for the "Castor River" modules at www.hotrak.ca (follow links to the gallery) for ideas that can fit a fairly modern layout with restricted depth.

Andrew

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
Prototype spacing is 13', which is what the Champoeg District uses on average. That of course is to track center. The best way to handle it is to just run your cars down there and see how far away you need to be to clear the buildings.

Regarding industry type? What kind of cars do you have or like?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Steve: are you planning the sort of operation where the cars on the second track are unloaded through the cars on the first track?
I would say that it looks like a freight shed or a warehouse. You should be able to make one of those from any of the modular building systems. Remember that the doors have to be spaced to match a certain length of boxcar, and if you get a longer boxcar one or two of the doors will be unused.