JSC's Shimakaze-The Hard way

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Very nice work, Ted! :D

There's something about this model, I don't know whether it's the work you did on coloring it or what, but looking at the top photo, I'd swear I was looking at the actual ship, right down to the sense of surface texture. Truly a joy to look at, and even better with each update. Keep at it...and more photos when you can. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Last of tonight's pics, the fwd and aft stack houses and torpedo tubes. JFK wrote in his memoirs of the night his PT was rammed by a Japanese destroyer he remembered seeing the characteristic "U or Y" (it's been a long time since I read that book) of the twin smokestacks, so common to the Japanese destroyers of the time. I think the stacks debris caps might have to be added, later....

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Hi Guys, back again after a small detour. Slow getting back into it. Watching Scorpio's POW and MUrban's Oregon stoked the fire back into gear. Great work guys. Finished the ship's boats and one set of davits. I'm not sure exactly how these things are rigged, all my pics are fuzzy far aways and just show a general whitish/web type retaining strap setup but I can't make out where it is attached so I fudged it for now. More as I get up more speed......

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
HHmmmmmm, the pics didn't upload \My Pictures\\Shimakaze project\\boats4.JPG is an invalid filename error once again, the glitch monster returns..... I'll try later

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
test. This is really strange, Leif I did what you recommended and downloaded the pics from the album then reuploaded them and that worked. But the problem still remains with my machine. I did download that BTCad program to start fiddling with, Oh well, these are some of the pics of the ship's boats, rigged and ready to go. Leif posted the one image of the finished bow with rails animated with that squirrelz program and screen captured. more later....

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
test2 So far so good, these are test shots of the finished bow with rails etc. enclosed is the screen capture of the bow with water from that squirrelz program kinda neat...

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Superb work, Ted! :D

Great work on the details, rails, etc., looking very realistic...and an interesting picture with the water reflection effect!

What did you use for the strapping on the lifeboat? It came out nice.

Looking forward to more pics when you can.

Cheers!

Jim

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Hi Guys, I guess it's time to resume where I left off with the Ole' Shimakaze. It's been a harrowing year, a small bout with a resting trrremorr had halted alot of progress. interestingly the Nerve Dudes (Neurologists) think it had something to do with exposure to plant food and weed chemicals that I unpacked in my last move. Lesson, gloves :!: Anyways I resumed work on the last two aft turrets, and started to re-refit the main and after masts. They are unfortunately but by neccessity plastic and brass. I use the brass as the main spar, as it will anchor some of the spiderwire rigging line I will use later. The side mast legs can be anything as they won't have to take much strain. I know I missed the link/thread for uploading multipics if someone will later point it out I don't have to crowd the site with multipostings. More to come...

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The foremast or mainmast. In its embyonic form, the tripods need painting befor they are joined otherwise you have one devil of a time painting in tight spots. A question to master ship builders: do you guys build the masts separetely apart from the ship or do you build them on the ship itself? Anyways some fresh shots of the bridge structures, fwd stacks and mainmast in progress....

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Ted

Glad to see this kick off again, missed it a lot :D

Don't you dare open or let your kids open a soda can you have given them near this work of art :lol: :lol:

Looking great and more tips please :roll:

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Truly awesome work, Ted!

As always, when checking on your updates I find myself just enjoying one photo after the next, each showing superb attention to detail and excellence in execution.

Yes, please keep this beauty protected from the daily hazards of home life, would you? :wink: That makes me ask if anyone uses some sort of case or other protection for their builds in between work sessions? I haven't but can see I will need to as my little one gets more daring and active in the vicinity of my work table...oh yeah, there have been heart stopping moments, I can assure you. :shock:

Back to this awesome build...I am really looking forward to more when you can, Ted.

Cheers!

Jim

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Hi guys it's been awhile for the Shimakaze, and other projects, re-re started up on finishing the Shimakaze. Last time as you remember the rear turrets were almost finished, well tonight they are, the little resting tremor thing I came down with subsided long enough to be able drill out the muzzles with an .080 drill bit. The rear mast is just about finished, it needs the radar assembly, and some rigging. As a matter of interest the aft part of the ship is just about complete, less the flag and radar. The midships rails, mainmast and a few little fiddley things and the ship is done, more to come....

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Well Gentlemen, it's been another 'while. The Shimakaze is almost really done. The mainmast and ships radars are complete. I,m having a debate with myself about the rear tower radar. It was muchly simplified for construction, but in between the sets of radar dipoles should be little bridges of things, I guess insulating strips or spacers to keep the frequency right on. In modeling terms they would be 1 1/2 mm long ny 3/4 mm wide. I don't know if I'm that steady anymore. The insets of the radar masts show the embryonic forms of each radar. Anyways, the only bits that need done to complete her, are the ship boat retaining strap, port with some rails to port, the Gangways, which are built but need rigged, and the overall rigging and flag. About a days work in the past, but another week ahead.