I've decided

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks to everyone who weighed in with their suggestions and opinions as to which floorplan would be best for a train room. Most people seemed to think I should choose the large space, and I would agree - if money and time were no object. But............well..............they are.

This will be my first layout ever, and I'm aware that sometimes we bite off a bit too much and end up getting discouraged and never finishing what we set out to do. I'm hoping to avoid that scenario.

So, here's what I've decided to do:
1) take the smaller floorplan
2) eliminate the continuous run requirement for the trains - it was turning into a big headache
3) keep most of the layout to 30" in width, with track no more than 20" from the edge
4) build in modular sections for future portability
5) have a single-track mainline (I wanted double but I also want a massive trestle bridge)

Here's the final floorplan, with the beginnings of a track plan. Any suggestions would be most welcome, especially my switching yard. Not too sure about switching in general, so maybe I've committed some fatal error here.

cheers
;) Val

Attachments

• floor plan final copy.jpg
    floor plan final copy.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 340

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Val,
Very glad you took the simple route to happiness. the plan looks much better.

Model railroads can and will tear your hair out when things go wrong.

A few bits of track, a couple of points(Turnouts) with live frogs, loop it all together and "BINGO" dead short somewhere. Yep, it happens.

Shamus
wink.gif

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Looks good

Looks like a good solution. I especially like the "unhidden" hidden staging. The more difficult is is to get to your staging the more likely you will have a derailment.

If you decide to go to continuous running, maybe you could "liven" your fake rails, and put a track with liftout or bridge along the wall with the door.

Good luck!!

Andrew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by jon-monon

No prob., she's got a kewl hat she can wear, til it all grows back.

Curiouse again: why not power all the track? Because of electrical nightmares of crossing the traction loop? [/B]

LOL!

In answer to your curiosity Jon, the trolley loop is under the trains - I left out a bridge in my drawing, heh-heh (sheepish laugh). There's no real reason why those fake tracks couldn't be powered I guess, except that they don't really go anywhere. As Andrew suggested, I might power them up if I ever wanted to fill in the "missing" section and have a continuous run.

As far as tearing my hair out, I was already beginning to do that, just figuring out which space suits my purposes best! Now where's my 'stache?

cheers
:D Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Val,
I like the plan. Its clever to have that divider so you can create city and country scenes in your space and make it believeable. That "fake" track over the trolley line; since its connected to the switching area could it be a spur to some industry within the trolley loop? Maybe a second floor level loading door for a warehouse or somthing. If you wanted to convey more of a main line maybe it could be an interchange track with another railroad into your switching area and serve as another bit of staging. The second road could "drop off cars" (actually placed by hand prior to operating sessions) there for you to move into the switching area. A third option would be to elevate it high enough to cross over the swithing area and go into the backdrop.
Lookin' good!
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ralph, you just made my day! You have some great ideas, and I'd like to hear more about them. For example, how would you set up track for the interchange? Would it go inside the switching module?

----------
i'm just a wannabe - wannabe ridin' on the railroad
the railroad

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Val,

Let's see....you know, it all ready looks like you have an interchange set up that way on your current plan. Imagine that another line's tracks are off your layout but would connect with it via the "fake track" route over the trolley line. On a regular basis the other line drops off some freight cars on that stretch of track to to the right of the bridge over the trolley loop. You then pick up the string and bring them into your switching area and locate them at appropriate industries or set some out on that run-around siding you have there so they could be picked up by your own trains to the staging are or head the other way to the town. You really have a lot of operational possibilities there and it will be fun to figure out the most efficient use of your spurs and siding when moving cars to their destinations! Hooking the end of your fake track to a cassette as described by bilk would be cool because your switcher or whatever you use to go get those interchange cars appears to actually leave your layout to pick them up! Cool!
Whaddya think?
Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Val,

I guess you're just a natural track planner! :) I saw your steam loco in the other thread. An 0-8-0 seems like a good option. I'm not a steam expert but I'd think the lack of pilot wheels decreases the risk of derailments on tight industrial trackage. I wonder though if the length of the loco and tender might mean it would be a good idea to lengthen some of the sidings in your switching area, especially that short stub that you'd need to back into if you pulled cars from the track over the trolley loop. Looking forward to hearing about your layout coming to life!
Ralph

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Spitfire

I think you are going to enjoy that layout. Nice bit of operational potential, great scene possibliities and it's expandable when ****** YOU ********** want.

Good on yea -- it looks like a winner

Duckman

Nov 22, 2002
Whitby Ontario
Visit site
well done!

HI Val....You don,t know me but I,ve been watching you guys on the Gauge for 2 mths. now. I,m a little shy when it comes to learning how to reply and then replying. Your my 1st ever reply, so bare with me. A little info on me. I,m one of the traction boys and a good friend of Chris Walker. I missed you at the Whitby Train Show. Iwas there for all of Sat. and 4 hrs. Sun. That,s when I missed ya.I just want to say hi, andnice pics with your new camera ( old news I know! ) I hope to see more in the future. Now for your layout, Great choice. you are best to start smaller and with time your skills and ideas develope and so does your layout. I,ve seen your work and ideas on the gauge and your very good at your craft. I,m very picky about my work, probably more than most.Iguess that,s ok, Thats me. I,ve been building my layout for 8yrs. now. It,s 16 ft x 12 ft. It was at one time twice that size.I built it in 4 ft. sections and I want you to know that it was the best thing Iever did, because I moved 2 yrs. ago. The layout was actually the easiest and the fastest thing moved, with the help of one train buddy. So your right, build yours the same way. I have more to say but I,m a little long winded.Keep up the good work, I,ll be watching ya!! Duckman.:)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Glad to meet you!

Hi Duckman! First off let me say I'm honoured to be your very first post, and I hope the first of many. Too bad I missed you at the Whitby show, but there will be others, I'm sure. Any friend of Chris's is a friend of mine - he's a great guy.

Thanks for your comments on the proposed layout. I think what I'm planning will work for me, given a bad habit I have of wanting to run before I can walk. The idea is not to do this, but to start small as you suggest, and build gradually. Of course it's necessary to have some kind of master plan first, which is what I'm working on now. Meanwhile, the hard part still awaits - cleaning out 30+ years of accumulated junk!!!!

I tend to be picky too - I'd rather have one really good scene than a dozen mediocre ones. That, of course takes time, but if it's what you love doing, then the time is well-spent, IMO.

cheers

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
aaaaaa but have you realy made your mind up?

Hi Val, first thanks for the kind words, I have been reading your thread, and enjoying all the thoughts and encouraging words from our friends.
And it looks like every thing is a go ( once the junk has gone:eek: ).

But have you realy made your mind up:eek: :D ;) ;) :p

Maybe the Trolly loop can have a" reason to be" with the odd switch?? or a figure 8 around the buildings May be a single track from your station to the town?:eek: :) :D
Only a few thoughts Val as the weeks go by you are bound to keep revamping it.
As I said a while back OOOOOOOOOOOOO the sleepless nights:D :D :D :D :D
And all that FUN to look forward to:eek:
Tractionaly Yours.