Its Monday 7-4-05, Weekend modeling accomplishments!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
The limo is due to pick us up in about an hour and a half to take us to 30th Street Station. So I have some time to surf before we leave.

I had a good modeling weekend. I finished painting the bases for both the Farm House Diorama and the Grain Elevator Diorama. I also ballasted the track on both dioramas. I began weathering all the buildings for the grain elevator. I still need to do some fine weathering and seal them.

Since I won’t be here the next two weekends if someone desires to continue the weekend modeling topics, please feel free to do so.

C

Catt

Well I got the SD40-2 snootnose disassembled,got the snoot shortened ,got a coat of primer on everything and the first coat of burgandy on the hood unit(should have the paint work done today).

Only work done on the 2TRAK (my new name for said modules) was to get the corner leveled up and clamped to one of the straight modules.I did get some more track removed from said straight module.

I also now have 4 85' double plugdoor boxcars painted and waiting for shopcrews to letter them.I have decided that the official GVR name for the shade of green used will be GVR Green#1.(What? You think I should call it Krylon Fusion Spring Grass Green? :D )

No work on the small layout yet but I may get it cleaned off and turned around so I can start the addition to the backside ,

spankybird

OTTS Founder
May 13, 2005
Willoughby, Ohio, USA
We dressed up one of our water towers. It was a K-Line water tower.

47b5d923b3127cce92f5dd63e6bb00000026108IZMmrFwxbA

and added wood siding to it.

47b5d923b3127cce92f5d107e6d900000026108IZMmrFwxbA

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The pumps went out on the property's lift station, a scenario it was designed to avoid. Yesterday, was blessed to be able to get a septic tank company to use their trucks as rolling lift stations to move 100,000+ gallons of raw sewage to city owned stations that the city graciously allowed us to use. Today we get to do it all over again, tomorrow, too, if we can't get new pumps in. Many thanks to Roger's and Grant's for staying with it to midnight last night, no doubt to have to do it again today.

I love fail safe systems :mad:

Blessings, BC

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
My son and I rode along with my wife as she drove a bus load of students from the Orme School to the Frontier Days parade and the Rodeo in Prescott.
It was a great day. We watched the group hitch up their Belgians to their hay wagon and walked around the staging area before watching the parade.
After the parade we took the group to a local park for a picnic lunch and then to the Rodeo.
This was the first time we went to a Rodeo and found it to be rather exciting.

Attachments

• Jul02^08.JPG
    Jul02^08.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 26

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hey, the weekend isn't officially over until tonight, at least here in the US.:wave: So far I have gotten my slide-out drawer finished for my addition wiring, and I've done some real serious thinking about laying down that new track. :cool::cool:"Serious thinking" does count for something on a holiday weekend... doesn't it....:D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Don,

John Candy had a great line in the 1994(?) movie "Canadian Bacon":

"There is a time to think and a time to act, and this gentlemen, is no time to think"

:D:D:D;)

I unfortunately am also relegated to thinking, since most of my train stuff is now packed... :(

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ahh yes, Andrew, but action without thought can lead to chaos. The more you think, the less time you have to act and the less time you have left to screw up.....:confused:

One of my favorite sayings is,"don't confuse motion with progress". Just because someone is busy, don't take it for granted they are actually accomplishing something.. :D:D

I guess I'm going to have to think about this for a bit longer.:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Installed a whole house fan this morning, which should make sleeping much easier. Our high attic traps a great deal of heat and without any insulation in the ceiling it seemed to me what food must feel like under the broiler.

However, the porch on which is the layout space is really an addition to the house and doesn't fall under the influence of the whole house fan at all. Modeling either happens in the living room (where the portable AC is) on my 2'x2' board or early in the morning/late at night when the porch is cool.

I did recently get a shop light hung with full spectrum bulbs over the layout space. My usual day off is Monday so I'm taking Tuesday as well. I hope to finalize the layout plan and run off a few copies to sketch out scenery ideas, framing layout, etc. and construct a small model of the layout with cardstock or balsa.

Still kicking around backdrop ideas. 1/8" masonite seems like the most economical choice next to 1/8 lauan, with the masonite being more flexible. I'm thankful for all the feedback on that post. But I keep leaning toward primed canvas. It should hang well without warping as long as it's tacked to a sturdy frame, and flexibility is no problem at all. Plus, it's ready for painting, or a few more layers of gesso to smooth it out further.

I have a theory that the texture of the surface, if it's a little matte or rough will actualy appear more realistic because the glare will be reduced. As long as it's well done so not to be distracting (either too simple or too ornate...I'm sure there are many opinions about this out there on either end of the spectrum).

There's a structure modeling contest for my club coming up in August, so I pulled out a diorama I had started a while back. Also promised to work on a grain elevator for a friend that may become a contest entry as well. And there's that SS Ltd Timber Gantry that's been started...modified for working lights above the tracks. So who knows. Maybe a little bit of everything. We'll see.

ocalicreek

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Modeling -wise I airbrushed the tuscan red onto 4 passenger cars. They turned out a lot darker than I thought they were going to be so I'm going to try to see if primering in a lighter grey would produce a lighter color.
I was going to start scratchbuilding my tunnel portal but the workshop was so messy I couldn't get a clear spot to work so instead I started to clean the workshop, unearthed enough MR mags to form a stack two feet high among other things. time to put everything in its proper place again, at least until I start building something, then it'll all go downhill in there once again!

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
I got most of the roadbed down for the 1-3 track module. Now i just have to get that 3d #6 LH switch... The hobby shop didnt order it last week so now i must wait :mad:
Oh well another excuse to go railfanning :thumb: but then theres the traffic :mad: oh well i guess another reason for a detour :thumb: which means more railfanning :thumb: The joys of being single hehe

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Well let's see:

I worked on the TM FA's somemore, taking my time on these as I tend to try and finish things up and get sloppy, hopefully not this time.

Ran some operating sessions on the layout and had some engines that required shopping for lube and tuning so I did those.

Straightened out the project bench so I can start to organize the multitude of projects and make sure I have everything I need to finish them.

Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend!!-
wave.gif

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Spent some time organizing and prioritizing.began work on a few deciduous trees & Shrubs.
Put together a couple orders and spent some time moderating on a busy weekend.
I'm beginning to wish a few of these forums would merge.life was so much simpler a couple years ago,now it seems all my friends are scattered all over the net.:(

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Once again I dont know when this session of modleing started, but 3 days ago I started to scratch build a service station, then I yelled for help, and got more than I had figured on, many thanks to all who offerd there advice and tips...
I must say that I am not unhappy that this session has ended but will start again in a day or two.....have a good one..steve

Attachments

• ho layout 019.jpg
    ho layout 019.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 26

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Nothing on the layout, but I did get a brain storm on how to add two hidden staging tracks, but that's for another thread.

I worked on my diorama Friday and yesterday. Painiting models and making abutment/ retaining wall stones. Sorry, no pics yet.

Unless you want to see a POP...(Pile of Parts)