Is there a market for selling a 4x8 layout intact?

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Morning Guys,

I was wondering if there is there a market for selling a 4x8 layout intact? Since I am planning to change my entire layout ... I would like to sell the existing one instead of tearing it apart? Has anyone done this before? How difficult is it to sell? Any advise or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Bob -
Biggest problem I can think of is that you would almost have to sell it locally, because of the shipping and handling charges, insurance, etc. could be overwhelming.

Have you considered donating it? Not just to a kid's club type of organization, but maybe some senior citizens would enjoy it. You should be able to get some kind of tax write-off, and it might be a lot less hassle than trying to sell it.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Most completed layouts will sell for much less than invested value. The ones I see on E-bay are priced about 10 cents on the dollar. Billk has a good idea, if you want to start over, donate the layout and get the write-off, you can then claim full value and get about as much out of it as you would if you sold for cash without the hassles.

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Yes I have considered donating it...

I have considered donating it to an organization or selling it locally (would not be worth the shipping costs outside of my area).

I think the donation aspect would be the better idea since I could claim the full value and someone else could enjoy it. Then again I could just tear it apart and use the turnouts, switch machines and accessories on my new layout. Many things to consider.... still have time to decide though...not starting anything new for a while.

Thanks for the input everyone.