Intermountain F7 Decoder Question

TexDoc

Aug 20, 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
So I got a F7 and a DN163l13. Following the instructions I removed the leads for the headlight and re-installed them on the decoder. I programmed the decoder and the lights worked fine and the engine ran beautifully. BUT!!! When I turned off the headlights the F7 took off at light speed and would not stop even with emergency stop of the DT400? The lights stay on constantly and obviously I can't turn them off or "away we go"??? I assume I got something wrong. The wires are on the correct side, and it doesn't appear they are touching or there is solder touching any other pad???
The above doesn't mean I can't see it even under magnification. It is a tiny son-of-a-gun to work with....
Suggestions? Fixes? help???

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Don't know the specifics of your engine and decoder, but have you tried:

Resetting the decoder?
Resetting the system?
Reset the throttle? Dispatched and reaquired the loco?

Did this happen more than once - i.e. is it a permanent situation? I can't imagine why the engine continues even after emergency stop, since this is supposed to shut down the entire system...?

Andrew

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Hmm, that is really weird:confused: , did you try disconnecting the lights and then trying to run the engine?

what really gets me is how could the lights affect the motor speed:confused: .

i would try as Andrew wrote:
Resetting the decoder?
Resetting the system?
Reset the throttle? Dispatched and reacquired the loco?

and also try disconnecting the lights, then run it. "DN" denotes the decoder is a Digitrax N/Z scale decoder, so i know working on stuff that small must be a pain, but if those steps don't work, perhaps try and reinstall the decoder. if all else fails, try customer support:winki: .

i am sorry, but i too am totally miffed by this problem:eek:ops: , i know this doesn't help, but don't feel alone:winki: , if you search through these threads you'll find that more people have problems with Digitrax decoders then ANY other brand:frowns: , why that is...i don't know:confused: . when i FIRST got into DCC i tried 6 digitrax decoders, of the six, two of them i had to go in and set the start voltage, start speed, etc:roller: , not fun:cry: , although i got all 6 to run fine in the end:thumb: , i have since replaced them with OTHER brands:winki: .
:deano: -Deano

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
I just did an installation with a DN163I1c on an Intermountain F7 but had a different problem. Installation went fine, tested it with the cover off, worked fine, put the cover on, worked fine. Worked on a different locomotive. Went back to check the F7 again and all of a suddent the light went out. Tried everything. Turned everything off. Back on. Locomotive works fine forward and reverse...but no light....no way...no how. A couple of guys thought the light might be bad which I did not have the time to check, or to make sure there was power to the light. But it just seemed a bit odd, since I had read this post last night, that I would then have a problem with the same decoder on the same locomotive. Any ideas from anyone?
Thanks
dwight77

TexDoc

Aug 20, 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
No Help

I wish I could help, but sadly I have not fixed my problem yet so the blind leading the blind results in both of us falling in the ditch.
I really like the detail on the F7 and if I could find another Espee bloody nose "A" unit I would buy it and dumb me try yet another decoder install.
"Pain, give me pain, I need pain, and stress and distress and confusion....."