inexpensive water???

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi eve,

I used acrylic gloss medium, which can be purchased at art and craft stores. First I prepare a wavy surface by spreading joint compound on my river surface (wood), let it dry slightly, and then stiple it with a damp sponge to get texture. Then I paint it a murky color. Once that's dry I layer on several coats of the gloss medium. i like it because it doesn't stink up the room. It leaves a nice "wet" sheen after several coats and gives some appearance of depth. For white capped waves I pull strands from cotton balls and then drop some gloss on those. Here's a picture of how it looks.
tug2.jpg

Ralph

N

nachoman

how much water are you intending on modeling? If you are modeling a large bay, estuary, or river, Ralph's method can be very convincing. Make sure your "river bed" is absolutely flat and well supported prior to spreading the joint compound. There is some skill in stipling the joint compound and painting the surface appropriate colors. The best part here is if you are unhappy, you can probably just spread new joint compound or repaint until you are satisfied. Epoxy resins and plastic beads are less forgiving for mistakes.

If you are modeling a smaller stream, many people have luck with two-part epoxy resins. Or, you may want to investigate some of Harold's techniques:

Making Frothy Foaming Water
Making the Rapids on Wagon Road Creek

Harold does an excellent job. He has many, many more useful technques on his site - many using hardware-store materials.

Kevin

eve_9d9

Dec 21, 2006
Bowling Green, Ohio
OK I went the k.i.s.s. method on this....I just carved out my littlestream bed, painted the edges, and then filled it with watery plaster, that I put a texture on as it dried, then painted that, Ill highlight it with a few other colors, put a couple coats of gloss on it, and I think it will work fine....its a pretty small area of water, and for a first try I wanted to stay very simple...........thanks for the ideas though, maybe on the next part of the layout Ill give something more complicateda try.....when I get it looking good Ill post a couple pics....