Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
slaq5.jpg

I'll be referencing points in this plan according to the grids:
1 2 3 4 5 6
A
B
C

My track plan is the Scenic and Relaxed, and will be pretty much as shown here. Instead of a 3x6 however, mine is 4x6...to allow for more scenery. I won't be using that much water either. It looks like this picture shows a small logging operation at the bottom left, but I don't want that type of industry. Which leads me to my questions:

1) How many industries can I safely fit on something this size? I definitely want a small town area where shown. I already have a small grain/feed store that will be on one of the spurs there. Near B-5.

2) Grain is definitely a must. I love covered hoppers, so an elevator will be on here somewhere for sure. Since the feed store is in town, the elevator will probably be one of the buildings shown at A-1 or B-1.

3) I'd really like a coal mine, like the Walther's New River Mining Co. But I don't think it would fit anywhere on this track plan. It's a 2-3 track industry, and the only place it might fit is at A-4...but I doubt it. Even then, getting the scenery right for the shaft would be tricky if possible at all.

4) I'm not too partial to tank cars, so I'd like to avoid industries that involve them if possible. Though I do really like the Interstate Fuel & Oil structure, so I'm not ruling it out completely.

Need some input!

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Is

T

h

i

s

A test?:wave:

Nice track plan drawing though.

I think if you're asking these questions you need to pick up a couple of building kits that you like for what you think will fit your desires as far as industies go. If you can't see inside the box- you can pretty much estimate from the photos on the box and often the manufacturer offers "foot print" dimensions on the box. And, Yeah, it doesn't always turn out the way you want- uhhhh, sometimes you have to alter your plans- much like the rail barrons did except this time you get to rule the roost and accept the compromises that move things forward. All in the name of success. I say move forward.

I happen to love tank cars- ohhhhhhh- the greasy, smelly oily smell- i get faint~~~~~ that and creosote. Anyway- that not withstanding- check out the manufactures to see what they offer that "fits" your railroad. Ohhh I am having the vapors from the thought of oil vapors.

announce1 A little tounge-in-cheek there 2-8-2!:D

Mark(anonymous)sign1

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The opportunities are almost endless - but what timeframe and locale are you considering. This will impact the style of building, and also type of business that is appropriate.

Also - one note on your grain elevator plus "store in town". The two would have been combined in almost every instance. Not to say it didn't happen, but when dealing with bulk commodities, the store is often close to the source, so to speak.

Much like the grain/brewery combo, if you do the coal mine, you could also do a coal dealer. Dealers would also typically handle fuel oil and other bulk goods like cement, salt, or aggregates.

To answer your overall question - maybe 6 or so individual industries. If you make one of them a "team track" on the north siding in A-5, you can conceivably run almost any type of car in there for the benefit of a business or businesses that may not even be represented on the layout.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
One other thought - if you extend the track at the top off the layout left and right to staging of some sort, you can treat the folded loop like a branchline, and gain the operations of interchange as well (basically another industry).

Andrew

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Dimensions of at least the Walthers kits are available to get a sense of what will fit.

I like the Interstate Fuel and Oil; I have a version on my layout. A small town dealer might have handled coal as well-- a two for one special-- depending on the time period modeled.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
MasonJar said:
The opportunities are almost endless - but what timeframe and locale are you considering. This will impact the style of building, and also type of business that is appropriate.

Sorry, I forgot to post that info. Timeframe: 1953. Locale: Northwest Ohio.

Very good point about having the feed store "in town". The good news with that is, the structure isn't completely finished yet, and it's generic enough that I can really make it whatever I want it to be. I also like the idea of a bulk commodities dealer. Given my small space, I can model a couple larger industries, and have them delivered to the same location. It would save space, but still provide operation. Do you have a sample structure in mind for such a dealer?

I've also considered doing a gravel pit. I really like the Glacier Gravel structure, but modeling the actual pit could be a challenge. It would have to be really scaled down to fit my layout, and I don't know if it would look right. Ugh...I need to get some track laid, so that I don't have this problem.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
On a small layout like this, you're going to have everything too close together for proper realism. An interchange is probably the best way to accommodate some industries. Some sort of factory or warehouse wall flat along the side at A1-A2.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
60103 said:
On a small layout like this, you're going to have everything too close together for proper realism. An interchange is probably the best way to accommodate some industries. Some sort of factory or warehouse wall flat along the side at A1-A2.

Sadly that holds true for any size layout..:( Thankfully by having independent industries instead of those tied together makes a small(or any size) layout more believable.:thumb:

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
2-8-2,Here is a list of industries found on the Huron River Ry..This list was compiled from phone books and on line resources.Some of these industries will work in your era.

Huron:
Continental Grain.
Lakeside Frozen Foods.
Ohio Steel Drums.
Huron Lumber
River Terminal Inc.
=========
Oberlin
Oberlin Grain
Reed's Scrap Metals
=========
Grafton
BP Oil
General Foods
Carr's Distribution
===========
Medina
Agrow Fresh Produce
SugarDale Foods.
Rittman Steel Tubes
86 Lumber
--------------------
Paxton
BP Oil.
North Star Co-op.
Paxton Lumber
=========
Barberton
Barberton Sheet Metals
Wilson Cement Products
Bond home Improvement
DFI Chemicals
Dad's Treats
Weissman Dog Food Inc
Welby Inc.
Nexus Distribution
Superior Cardboards
Patton's Warehousing.
Sax Scrap Iron

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
brakie:
Thanks for that list, it actually inpired me in more than just a few ways! As usual, you've been a great help to me. I noticed a lot of lumber industry, which I thought was kind of odd for Ohio...but then I remembered there's a huge Hoge (I think) lumber operation not that far from where I live. I might have to venture over there one of these days and take some pics.

I bit the bullet today and ordered Interstate Fuel & Oil. It will fit in a number of locations on this layout, and gives me an excuse to buy some tank cars as well. I've been kind of hesitant to buy any larger structures for fear of them not fitting right. I'd like to have my track laid out before commiting to anything larger.

:thumb: