Im Loosing Posts

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
This has happend to me 2 times now within the last 2 weeks I would say.

I have recently made it to the 2,000 mark and seem that I loose posts when I get there.

The first time this happend I had about 2,010 posts and it dropped to around 1,987. I figured ok, no big deal, I will just keep posting. :D

I just signed on again today and noticed that my count went from 2,010 to 1,957 posts. :curse: GGGGRRRRRRRR:curse: sign1

Has any one else noticed this happing to your self lately?

Anyone know why this could be happening?

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
This is probably happening because threads do not stay on the forums forever. Eventually, they go so long without replies and then "drop off" the forum. When those go, so do your posts in them.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Ya, that is what I thought to Cannonball but then I thought the same as GN, it should be the total post count that I have posted from the start of me joining the Gauge and that shouldn't change right?

BTW, CONGRATS on the 1000 mark, just posted in your new thread

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Nope - It only shows the actual active posts ... If for some reason a moderator delete a thread, any posts deleted will subtract from your post count.... As far as I know - "Old" posts stay on board... they don't automatically delete...

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Ok WOW, that must have been some major post deleting then, cause I have lost about 60 post total.

I PMed Don about it and he said "After doing a quick check, I find that you're not the only one that's loosing post counts. I thought I had noticed that I lost about 20 over the past day or so, but I don't keep that close track. But I looked at a few others and some have lost considerably more than that. I haven't a clue other than I know that Pete Davis is redoing the forum getting it ready for the new server and I'm wondering if he hasn't been hitting on the database. It would be unfortunate if we were actually losing posts and not just the post count, but at this point it would be hard to go back and tell.

I'll see if I can't get ahold of Peter and see if he knows. I'll let you know if I find out anything."

Hopefully we don't loose to many more posts sign1

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
No, we haven't had an "major" post or threads deleted recently, certainly none that would make that big a difference. And yes, the total post count will reflect every post a person makes from the get-go, even if it falls off the board. Well, they never really go away, I have researched and found the very first post on the Gauge some time ago, and it's still around in the archives somewhere...

No, right now from an administrator's view, I'm not sure why he's loosing posts, but if anyone else is, let me know so we can tell if anyone else is affected.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
I member that I had about 60 posts in Deano's first thread about his layout but I can't find it now, maybe he deleted it?

Would that explain why people are loosing posts, that was a pretty big thread, but did you say that the post count would count from the begining, or does it change if a thread gets deleted?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Hey Josh:wave:, i have NOT deleted ANY of my threads, so if you lost posts, it wasn't from me;).

i have thought SEVERAL times that i was missing posts, but i really don't keep track, so i thought i was just going nutstooth1hamr. :D -Deano

jambo101

Feb 14, 2007
Montreal
When you subscribe to a dozen or more forums post counts become some what meaningless.The only interest they give me is the people who have only been on the forum for a few months and already have several thousand posts you gotta wonder when they actually have time to participate in the forums original topic..

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TruckLover said:
Nope your not going crazy Deano, :D sign1 :p Don said it is happening to him and others.
There doesn't seem to be an explanation for yours in particular, mine and the others that I noticed were not as severe a loss and could have to do with some very old posts in the database and the fact that we are part of the Gauge staff (some former). One type of post or thread we are always deleting is spam. When any of the mods detect a spam thread or post, it gets moved into a holding area, along with any replies posted by other members. Usually whoever moved it there will post where they found it. Once it's placed there, Mikey or I will ban the spammer, and it might stay there for a while before it gets deleted. Now we don't have that many people responding to spam, and we ask that you don't, so I doubt that this is the cause, but I thought you might want to know how we deal with spammers.

In the rare case where we remove a thread, we do the same thing. We keep the thread in a holding area, just in case we want to move it back. It may stay like that for weeks before we decide to delete it. At that time, anyone that posted in that thread will have their post counts reduced by the number of posts they had in that thread.

Now, that having been said, Mikey and I have checked the settings, no problems there, none of the mods have deleted anything so it may just remain a mystery. We could have lost some posts in the database, I would hope not, but we're dealing with computers and a billion or so people that are on the Net and who knows what can happen. stooges8

As for me, I'm headed to the kitchen for another cup of coffee before I get a headache thinking about this...wall1

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
ezdays said:
There doesn't seem to be an explanation for yours in particular, mine and the others that I noticed were not as severe a loss and could have to do with some very old posts in the database and the fact that we are part of the Gauge staff (some former). One type of post or thread we are always deleting is spam. When any of the mods detect a spam thread or post, it gets moved into a holding area, along with any replies posted by other members. Usually whoever moved it there will post where they found it. Once it's placed there, Mikey or I will ban the spammer, and it might stay there for a while before it gets deleted. Now we don't have that many people responding to spam, and we ask that you don't, so I doubt that this is the cause, but I thought you might want to know how we deal with spammers.

Nope, I have only posted in one thread that was started by a spamer and I was told not to do that by you or Mikey and to instead report it as you said above so I knoq that is not the reason.

ezdays said:
In the rare case where we remove a thread, we do the same thing. We keep the thread in a holding area, just in case we want to move it back. It may stay like that for weeks before we decide to delete it. At that time, anyone that posted in that thread will have their post counts reduced by the number of posts they had in that thread.

This may have to do with some of the losses. I have participated in a few threads that have led to the bad side and I know they were removed, they must have finally dropped off in the last few days.

Another reason is as you said in the last PM to me, the threads in the buy, sell, trade forum that I have posted in may have been deleted due to them being there for to long and expiring or they were deleted by a mod doing a little house cleaning when the items being sold were sold so therefor the thread was deleted. This is most likly the major cause of my post count dropping because I have sold and posted in many threads in that forum.

ezdays said:
As for me, I'm headed to the kitchen for another cup of coffee before I get a headache thinking about this...wall1

Pour me a cup ez, I could use one right now, feeling pretty tired right now myself sign1

My questions have been answered now, thanks Don and Mikey :thumb: :D

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
High post counts can be a real handicap. On the forum I frequent the most, and have belonged to the longest, I recently topped 7,000. Now everyone expects me to know all the answers to everything, but I'm still the same guy I always was - no dumber and no smarter.

All I can say is: count your blessings.

I have bever really understood the psychology behind post counts, anyway. Keeping score never matters to me that way. I'm a believer in equality across the board, and I have found that post counts set up arbitrary and unnecessary "ranks" that often interfere with the process.

On the other hand, if there is a prize involved...:D