If only

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
If you had a million $'s what sort of Model Railroad would you build. For me, it would be Garden Railroad in Sunny Florida.
Guess I shall have to stay with the cold UK --- Oh, ---- if only.

Shamus
waver.gif

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Not me - I'd build an outdoor layout indoors, in a big whatchamacallit (greenhouse deal). Location - the Sandhills of Nebraska, preferably overlooking the Dismal River.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
My fantasy has always been a building large enough to model all the North Jersey lines out of their respective Hudson river terminals. It is an area quite crowded with raillines(particularly in the 50's) Let's see, 1/87th the northern half of NJ would require.... more than a million, I think!

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
We would move from the house we have and I would stay here in western Canada, the only problem we have where we live now is the earthquake threat but would move a few hundred miles on the other side of the mountains. This area is where they grow all the fruit trees, beauitiful summers and mild winters. As far as moving to the USA, not the way things are presently going around the world right now. I would build a single story house (rancher style) with an attach single story building that I could build a modest size layout. Do not want to go too big as it would just become overwhelming and would loose intrest in continuing. Think I would try a going into a new guage, maybe O scale logging this time as I have always been in HO scale. One thing that i would immediately do is RETIRE !!!! have put 32 years in now and thing it is time for a change. Speaking of this the big lottery draw is tonite, so must run out and buy my ticket, good luck all and sweet dreams. Ron..

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Lets see, after Uncle Sam gets his 90%, and the wife gets her 90% of what he leaves us, hmmmmm, oh ya, bubbalou gets her 90% of what's left (that's our Chihuahua), and Dawg gest her 90% (yep the other chihuahua), let's see, I'll have:

1,000,000 - 900,000 =
100,000 - 90,000 =
10,000 - 9,000 =
1000 - 900 =
100!

I would get a shay!

purplex.gif
snide.gif
calm.gif
grim.gif
rain.gif

Why do I feel like Bob Dole?

gap.gif
gap.gif
gap.gif

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
What I would do. Hmmm.
Quit my job, do rail fanning all over United States and Canada for a couple of years. When I’m done with my rail fanning, I would buy a house with room enough to build my dream layout, and I would split my time between modeling and traveling.

(edit) Oh, and I would probably change from N to HO if I had enough space.

Hmm, if only… Enough!!! stop dreaming and back to work :(

Jesper

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
If it was all mine, no government pick pocket...
I'd take half and put in a bank, use the interest as fun money.
The rest would go to:
-Ma & Pa to fix the house :D
-Gram & Gramp to get outta Debt :D
-My house= an industrial building with a cargo elevator to the
Offices/ my living space on the level of a three story building
(like a place where large equipement was made). :eek:
-Put stuff in my house
-A nice N scale urban seaport that goes out to a small harbor town. ;)
-Finish college. :rolleyes:
-Work part-time, so I can spend more at my artwork and such.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Let's see now - a million bucks - I could have a 3,000 sq ft warehouse space downtown overlooking the tracks, with a really massive layout. But then, I'd want it to be designed by a pro, wired by a pro, and of course I would need it to be scenicked by a pro so that I could have it all up and running right away.

Hmmm. I think I'm actually better off now, with my 12 x 16 space, big enough to have fun but not so big as to be an impossible task! Huh! Whaddaya know. Life is perfect!

cheers
:p Val

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Well - After I pay all the bills & Move to a Farm (Horses). I would build the Munster's House... (Trust me - Loooong story).

With the remainder - Yes you guessed it! A "Small" G Scale garden RR -- about 2 - 3 acres should do it!!

-- Yeahhhhhhhh -- That's the ticket! LOL

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I would just be me and be happy with my current layout..After all the N Scale layout I have now is a Godzilla..Much bigger then I thought it would be..:D

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
A million bucks ?
Canadian money ?

The bad: that's only about US$680,000.. ( so that's only about 2 brass engines and a couple of short strings of today's ready-to-run freight cars, right ?) ;)

The good : there are NO taxes on lottery winnings in Canada.

I asked a couple of local farmers up here, what they would do...they said they'd just keep farming until it was all gone.
:eek:

But seriously, with a million bucks, ( obviously not enough to move to the Caymans and go live steam outdoors ), we would probably move to a bigger place, with room for an outdoor Garden 1:20.3 layout, that we also could run directly into the basement, for year round fun.:D :D
regards / Mike

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
It'd hafta be a...

...subway, cause I'd be dead in six months if I had a million dollars!

But, oh baby- what a way to go!

:D

Mark

P.S. We were asked to write an epitaph in 8th grade- how you want your stone to read- a study in studying one's own future and what one thinks of/will become of themselves- totally from the "me,me,me" beginnings of the PC generation, you know- teachers trying to "teach" you something or "challenge" your mind when they aren't qualified to..., well, never mind that. I came up with-

"Here I lay grey and dead.
Under this smelly flower bed.
Ants at my face, worms at my feet.
I feel like a 100 pounds of grade A meat."

C

Catt

Million bucks?? Move outta Michigan to a warm dry climate year around.Build a ranch style house with two fairly large additions.One would be for my N scale layout the other for my On30 layout.Buy my wife anything her heart desired that I could afford.:D

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
A million Bucks ?

$ I hope....
not the Mickey Mouse money we have here (Rands)
R10 = $1
My Dream... Visit Shamus's layout... Cross Canada by rail, Cross the Pacific on the QE2
Then it would be all gone and I would go back to planning the modest layout I am about to build