Idea for making Ponds

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by hminky, Jul 3, 2005.

1. hminky

hminky Member

A suggestion was made in my guestbook about making ponds. Using a mirror and coating it with either caulking or acrylic medium. The clear caulking didn't work but the acrylic gloss medium shows promise.

[​IMG]

The initial mockup with gloss medium on a small mirror. The white spots are uncured medium.

Thank you Fran
    Harold
  2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Great idea!!! Looks good!
    Ralph
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I agree, that looks really good with that ripple effect.:thumb:
  4. hminky

hminky Member

This is only a crude mockup to see if the idea is feasible. It will be further developed. It is only a mirror with the gloss medium on it and gravel sprinkled around to represent the bank. I am going to try other reflective materials.

Harold
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Looks good to me the way it is Harold but I will be waiting to see what you come up with next.
  6. hminky

hminky Member

Here is metalized mylar from a Sweet and Low bag with one coat of gloss medium:

[​IMG]

I let too many ripples form when gluing the mylar down. The gloss medium develops milky spots if applied too thick.

Harold
  7. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

What about a green tint to imply some depth or a stagnet pool? I like what you're doing, some nice reflections which is what you would expect to find...
  8. hminky

hminky Member

Here is the metallic mylar pond with a smoother piece of Mylar. There is a slight ripple in the mylar in the left corner. I stippled a light coat of gloss medium on the mylar.

[​IMG]

Harold
  9. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

The smoother one sure looks much better Harold. If the pond was larger maybe more ripples would be apparent.
  10. ScottyB

ScottyB Member

There is a good article on gloss medium in this month's (August's) Railroad Model Craftsman for anyone who is interested.

Involves a very small application of gloss medium and dabbing with a tissue to get the ripple effect. Repeat if required.

Good article and probably one I will use when I get to that point in my layout.

Scott