ID help needed

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hello all you steam experts, I have a burning question. On the pistons and the air reservoir in the pic below, what would the writing stencilled on say? Any ideas?
Is it the service date? A warning label?

I have a stencil sheet with lots of warning labels, battery lables etc. for use on locos and I'm wondering if I can use any of them.

Thanks in advance.

Val

Attachments

• cylinders.jpg
    cylinders.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 152

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Well it seems to me Val that it is your railroad so you could put on whatever you want. I searched through two books but not one of the locos had any print on the piston valve assemblies.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Val,
Any decal small enough to duplicate the size of the lettering in the photo, would be as unreadable as the photo! You could "fake it", and no one would be the wizer..............well, except you, me, and anyone who reads this thread. :D :D :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
sumpter250 said:
Val,
Any decal small enough to duplicate the size of the lettering in the photo, would be as unreadable as the photo! You could "fake it", and no one would be the wizer..............well, except you, me, and anyone who reads this thread. :D :D :D
:D :D :D That's one of the reasons that HO is better than "G"!!

:eek: :eek: What??!!?? :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The data you speak of is located in Microscale decal sets for steam locomotives. I have set 87-1019 for CNR steam locos,and you're right, it's very small and difficult to read. On the actual decals, even when viewed through a loupe, the wording is illegible. On the instruction sheet, the lettering on the cylinders appears to be letter and number combinations but I have no idea what they mean: perhaps valve stem and piston packing data? The lettering on the air tank reads:
HAMMER TEST
WATER TEST 180 LBS
MB 9-10-50
CN

Not much help: I wouldn't have even known that such lettering existed if I hadn't bought the decals. I guess a little learning IS a dangerous thing.
Wayne