I love micro-mesh!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Picked this stuff up at a hobby shop in LA when I was there in April - it's called micro mesh and it's a very fine brass mesh. I've had in mind to do some detailing of the basement windows on my Walther's American Hardware Supply kit, which I started quite some time ago and then kind of set aside.

I've certainly walked by many an old factory that had this mesh over the basement windows and I always wanted to model it. Here are the first results.

Actually this will look a lot better once I get some weeds in place and the back put on.

What you're looking at is the windows in the lower right of the photo. :D

Attachments

• mesh.jpg
    mesh.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 182

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Actually, I might as well post the photo of the front of the building - this was taken from street level. :D
The current tenant is H&S Reliance, a large printing co (and a real Toronto company back in the day). That's their red sign over the door. The former tenant, and you can still see their faded sign up top was Dominion Wire Bristle Co. Ltd. a made-up name. Both signs were printed on my ink-jet printer.
I get a kick out of some of those old-fashioned company names. Places like Dominion Patent Elevator, Sterling Actions & Keys, Canadian Acme Screw & Gear, Dunlop Candy Co. Ltd (sounds very unappetizing)!!

Val

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 175

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Excellent idea, Val. These little details are one of the reasons that your structures look so realistic. That good-looking brickwork doesn't hurt either. I've got two of those kits stashed under my layout, waiting for that darned second level to get built. My plan is to spread out all of the walls to make an "L" shaped building to fit around an outside corner of the backdrop. I'll file your idea for "future use".:thumb:

Wayne

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Who's the maker of the mesh? I've seen that stuff used on a brass gondola made for carrying coke block containers (coal). It was used in every other part of the floor in the car between the frame and cross bracing so you could see the track under the car right through the floor. Pretty darn neat if I must say. Wonder if i might work on some old locomotive grill that had to be replaced?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
KCS said:
Who's the maker of the mesh? I've seen that stuff used on a brass gondola made for carrying coke block containers (coal). It was used in every other part of the floor in the car between the frame and cross bracing so you could see the track under the car right through the floor. Pretty darn neat if I must say. Wonder if i might work on some old locomotive grill that had to be replaced?

Val can probably tell you who made the stuff she bought, but Plano makes a lot of different model screens, extrusions, etc.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
KCS said:

Wow - that does sound neat! The mesh I used is made by Scale Scenics (a division of Circuitron).

Val