I hear a diesel engine on my layout again!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Chris...

How does that thing work? You say it uses some sort of combustion... ?!?! ;) :D

Don't know too much about the diesels, but I think that's an RS-1? Nice looking loco...

Andrew

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
MasonJar said:
Hi Chris...

How does that thing work? You say it uses some sort of combustion... ?!?! ;) :D

Don't know too much about the diesels, but I think that's an RS-1? Nice looking loco...

Andrew

Hi Andrew, :p they go bing a bang a groan ;) then they shoot sparks from the wheels :D

That is my R S 1. and a nice looking R S 1 it is. :wave:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
interurban said:
Hi Andrew, :p they go bing a bang a groan ;) then they shoot sparks from the wheels :D

That is my R S 1. and a nice looking R S 1 it is. :wave:

Yes it is. I am for steamers all the way, but if I had to have a diesel, it would be an RS unit (well, a 1, 2, or 3, but not the -11 or -18... ;) ). Of course, I'd need another concession to my "era" and to my chosen road - CN did not have any RS-1's as far as I know.

Andrew

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Yikes, he's startin' to stray....next thing you know, out come the wire cutters, some listings in the "Buy, Sell or Trade" forum and ---blamo---SD70MACs, pig trains and 85' auto-racks rollin' thru town.(sigh :rolleyes: )art imitates life

Great shots, Chris :thumb:

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
shaygetz said:
Yikes, he's startin' to stray....next thing you know, out come the wire cutters, some listings in the "Buy, Sell or Trade" forum and ---blamo---SD70MACs, pig trains and 85' auto-racks rollin' thru town.(sigh :rolleyes: )art imitates life

Great shots, Chris :thumb:
Yeah but, he has lots of "time" to go through to reach SD70MACs ...etc... a RS1 is a long ways from that
biggrin.gif

I've got to get a RS unit for my roster as both of my primary roads used them.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
The wire will not be coming down folks :p
When my knee gets stronger I will be building a brand new Traction line in my newly aquired space.
There will be a independent track for the steam /diesels to make an apperance, the Station for all to use and the odd sidings for photo ops.
I am looking forward to the next phase in my modeling years.

Got to take the old L/O down first ,,slowly and carfully so I can reuse a lot of the track and switches :wave:

Keep modeling and posting folks.

Attachments

• P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 198

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
It's fun to run little diesels on my city streets, although they do cry out for trolley wire--I just need to score some single-arm trolley poles for my mainline.

CN1

May 6, 2003
M.Interurban

A stupid question, if you don't mind :eek:ops:
Do the "juice" comes from the overhead, on your layout? :confused:

If so :thumb: how complicated is it to string live wires and to hook up a pantograph? :confused:

I am installing some "non-operational" caternary and I am toying with the idea of puting real "juice" to it but I got no idea how to :eek: ;)

thx :wave:

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi C N 1. yes juice from the overhead.

First I installed a center on/off switch then ran the power to the center terminals.

Then wire one side for overhead and the other side for two rail.

ie + and - to the two rails on one sde of the center off switch .
Then + to the pole and - to one rail. make sure the + = + on one side.

The trick is to have the insulated wheels on the interurban on the side you dont want to pick up power .
Then you can run both at a flick of a switch so to speak.
I have no continuity problem to worry about. so it worked for me. :thumb:

btw if running overhead all the time then it`s + to the pole and - to both rails making sure you CHANGE the wheel insulated set to opposite sides so you can pick up - from all wheels.
Of course you have to open the unit up and rewire for overhead i e one pickup to all wheels other to overhead.
Simple eh :p :wave:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Or you could install a DPDT switch into the interurban body--that would mean four different power modes, potentially quite confusing!