I have just joined the family.

old trackman

Apr 4, 2003
Sturgis SD.
Visit site
I have just joined the family and would like to say i am still collecting N- gauge stuff. I worked at Homestake Mining Co. in Lead SD. for 26 years as a trackman underground. People could not understand why. I just loved working on the track. I worked from the surface to the 8000ft. level. I want to build a door layout and have not started yet. I have most everything now except track. One day i will start out in my woodshop. I will surf this forum and get some ideas. Thanks.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Welcome to the Gauge, Henry - glad you found us! I spent about 1-1/2 years in Rapid City at SDSM&T in the mid-80's - beautiful area, still miss it.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Henry and welcome to the gauge, lots of friendly people with loads of information to give you, so just ask away friend.
Shamus
waver.gif

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
An old trackman...

...without track???;)

Welcome aboard otm!

My first N Gauge layout was a hollow core door. I always enjoyed the sound of my SD-45 as it transmitted nicely. That's to say- the door resonated the growl as it made it's way around the layout. Kinda like a free sound system!:D

Mark

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Welcome aboard Henry. I just started my N scale layout on a door, my first. You couldn't ask for a better bunch of people to get help from then on The Gauge. Just read through some of the threads here, just look at the pictures, they're an inspiration.

I too do a lot of woodworking and find that comes in handy in putting together a layout.

good luck.

Don

old trackman

Apr 4, 2003
Sturgis SD.
Visit site
Is this possible?

:) On my door layout I want to run two different trains and have sidings. I don't think i want any tunnels because it is hard to clean track in them. What do some of you think about Kato Unitrak? If I ask too many questions just say so. I have the door out in my shop and just need track. If anyone of you has a door layout with pics, could you post them or e- mail me? I don't want to build a boring layout, but one I could enjoy. Thats why I want two trains running on it. I have five deisels and many rolling stock. Thanks for any info.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Henry and Welcome Aboard!!:)

Although I model in HOn3 I have built 2 N scale layouts for other folks on 3-0 x 6-8 hollow core doors. One of the joys of doing that is that you can cut away portions of the top surface of the door and build scenery below the grade such as lakes and streams easily. I used Atlas flex track and cork roadbed on both of them. The reason I used the flex track was so that I could sort of "compromise" the curves to fit the width of the doors. You can fit a lot of railroad in the space available on one of those doors.

We're all here to help so if you have any questions at all please post them:)

Vic

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Henry,

Welcome to the Gauge! About 1/4 of my present latout is Kato Unitrack and I love it. Like you, I will be building a door mounted layout within the next two years to travel with me in our motor home and, I will use Unitrack 100% on it.

Dick

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by CSX6638
Welcome Henry

You will get all the help you need on this forum, everyone here is helpful, friendly and cordial.
Good Luck with your layout

Hey, hello Andrew, good to see you. been wondering if I'd see a post from you.:) :) :)

D :cool: N

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
Originally posted by ezdays

Hey, hello Andrew, good to see you. been wondering if I'd see a post from you.:) :) :)

D :cool: N
Hi Don
I've been around have posted on a few threads and a photo in this months contest. You layout looks like its coming along fine looks good. you will be happy that you did the draws when you start to accumulate engines and rolling stock.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by CSX6638
You layout looks like its coming along fine looks good. you will be happy that you did the draws when you start to accumulate engines and rolling stock.
I obviously an not ready to participate in the photo contest, and I haven't been looking there either. I should, but there's so much good stuff here I could spend the day just looking at the pictures and not get anything done.

BTW, I'm not sure that anyone here knows this, but it was you that suggested that I put a drawer under my layout. Yeah, I did go a bit overboard, but I had a lot more room than you.:D :D

The layout is kinda at a standstill the past few days while I spend a little time doing some structures. Everything is a challenge right now so I do a bit of this and a bit of that so I don't screw one thing up too badly,:rolleyes: and maybe screw up a lot of things just slightly.:eek: :eek:

D:cool: N

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
Originally posted by ezdays

I obviously an not ready to participate in the photo contest, and I haven't been looking there either. I should, but there's so much good stuff here I could spend the day just looking at the pictures and not get anything done.

BTW, I'm not sure that anyone here knows this, but it was you that suggested that I put a drawer under my layout. Yeah, I did go a bit overboard, but I had a lot more room than you.:D :D

The layout is kinda at a standstill the past few days while I spend a little time doing some structures. Everything is a challenge right now so I do a bit of this and a bit of that so I don't screw one thing up too badly,:rolleyes: and maybe screw up a lot of things just slightly.:eek: :eek:

D:cool: N
Don
One thing I can tell you , get your track work layed out correct from the start and most everything else is a snap, even if you make a mistake or later decide to modify something it's usually not a big deal. I have changed several structures and land scaping but the track work was good from the start and I have not done a thing to it but keep it clean since I layed it, so don't worry about screwing anything up but the track.
Andrew