Hump Day: Build or Roll?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

I worked on creating an office for the Cement Distributor. I found an old caboose in the junk box and painted it. I also install glass and boards over the windows. I began to weather it.

[/i]Kits or Ready to Roll?[/i]

I enjoy building models so my first choice is kits. I find that I have the most fun when I put a kit together and weathering it to make a nice complete model. I do purchase RTR stuff when I see something I need or want. I weather all my RTR stuff. Many times with RTR buildings I repaint them. I do not like the look of colored plastic. To me it looks phony.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
First of all, you took the words right out of my mouth. I fully support everything TOM PM does, and oddly enough, I do all of what He mentioned here, and agree that that plastic sheen looks SO fake! :thumb: Thanks Tom for stating both yours and my views!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I like the simpler kits - the ones with super detail are fun to build, but "hands-on" running (like we do at HOTrak) requires a sturdy car. So I tend to get the less expensive Accurail and Athearn kits with the majority of the details moulded on. I can usually assemble and weather one or two in a modelling afternoon or evening if the kids don't interrupt me ;)

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Kits for cars are hard to come by in N scale. That and the fact that most everything I've got in the way of cars I have bought from individuals or at train shows, 100% have all been RTR. As far as weathering, you're right, they don't look good out of the box, and someday I'll take care of that. I've done a couple, but really don't plan on doing more until I get more done on my layout.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Let's see...kevlar vest, check...sand bags around the perimeter, check...claymore mines, check...snipers in position, check...

OK...here goes...

When I think of Ready-To-Run, I think of Brio and Fisher Price and Tyco...:D :D

Now I think would be a good time for me to....run!

Just kidding, guys...:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Run Bob!!!!! :) I favor RTR because I'm all thumbs with small parts and I have limited patience. The scratchbuild, do-it-yourself part of the hobby for me is in making structures and scenary out of inexpensive materials that won't bother me if I goof them up the first time. Rolling stock kits that cost $20 bucks that have microscopic handrails and other details vex me, however.....arrrrgggh!

I admire kit builers but know my own abilties. :)
Ralph (still running Tyco...but no Fisher Price :) )

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
No RTR buildings or other structures here. I have started to buy a few RTR railcars even though I prefer the kits, Athearn, Accurail, MDC and P2K. The only RTR railcars I still purchase are Athearn and Athearn/Roundhouse. The metal wheels, prototype couplers, and other details that they add would cost me more to buy and install on a kit. Walthers railcars are not quite RTR...you have to add weight to all of them and you have to install the grabirons. Kadee...too expensive and out of my era. I haven't purchased any Atlas or P2K RTR.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

I like mine in kit form. Most (if not all) of the active rolling stock is kit-built, with some light weathering. All of my structures are kits, mostly plastic. Here are a couple of pics of what I managed to do with plastic.
The first is a Model Power "Blue Coal Mine" (I think.) It's painted with LATEX paints and weathered with chalks. The second is Atlas' Lumber yard. It's painted with acrylics and weathered with oil pastels. Both are lit as well. The lumber yard is still waiting to be "fitted" to the layout, which I hope to do this weekend.

Gus (LC&P)>

Attachments

• ELDIABLO7.JPG
    ELDIABLO7.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 46
  • amalias.JPG
    amalias.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 45

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Little of both. I still like the old BB Athearn. A snap to put together. I have done one of two of their Genesis kits, which with the detail parts and real metal grabs are nice, but almost craftsman like putting together. Even the newer BB's have metal grabs and finer detail, and are kinda between the old BB and Gensis kits. I also have a couple R-T-R from Athearn and Walthers.
Strucrures?..Kits or scratch...or scratchbash. Thats all I'll do.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I just watched a new episode of Workin' on the Railroad on the DYI channel and they built an Athern HO boxcar kit. The guy told Chris that building kits can save you 50-60% from RTR. Is that the truth?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Pretty much. But not 50-60%
Considering, even the newer Blue Box kit cost me $10.00, and an Athearn R-T-R flatcar with no load cost me $16.00, I'd say more like 15-20%. Unless they were talking a whole unit train worths.