Howdy!

Honger

Apr 7, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
:wave:
Hello all, my name is Joel (Honger is the username) and I’m new to the forum. I’m reintroducing myself to the hobby after a horrible 7 year hiatus! That hiatus was due to college, subsequent new job, marriage, etc. Through all that time I’ve followed the hobby on and off as I could… even presiding over the college model railroad club for a year.

Now, with the purchase of a new house that has a devoted hobby room for my wife and I, I’m starting from the ground up with my new layout. This will be my fourth layout and second to represent my freelanced St. Joseph, Mexico, and Eastern.

The St. Joseph, Mexico, and Eastern (toying with dropping the Mexico part, but it gives the name an exotic ring) is a bridge line that runs clear across the state of Missouri from St. Joe to Mexico to Bacon’s Corner (freelanced hub of my railroad) to somewhere outside of St. Louis. Bridging ATSF and NYC, my layouts emphasis will be transition era… yeah, yeah, I know I’ve taken quite a bit of freelancer liberties with my road.

This freelance road gives me the best modeling options in my opinion… a chance to run equipment from my favorite line, ATSF, and my second favorite line, NYC. Additionally it gives me some operational purpose, bridging traffic for the two roads.

I’m looking forward to sharing experiences and gleaning wisdom on the forum and appreciate the forum as a place to do so. I’ve been lurking a week or two, but I’ll soon be spewing questions and hopefully have something to offer now and then.

Regards,
Joel

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Welcome Joel! Freelance liberties are OK by us! Your proposed railroad sounds interesting. Congrats on the opportunity to start a layout after your 7 year hiatus!
Ralph

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
G`day joel, and welcome to the friendlyest forum on the web, although I dont know where your place are located that you mentioned, you see, im from a backwater place known as AUSTRAILIA, and know next to nothing of the US, or canada,( but am starting to learn a bit) from the guys and girls here at the GAUGE, a friendlyer bunch you`ll not find anywhere...have a good one..steve

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
ausien said:
G`day joel, and welcome to the friendlyest forum on the web, although I dont know where your place are located that you mentioned, you see, im from a backwater place known as AUSTRAILIA, and know next to nothing of the US, or canada,( but am starting to learn a bit) from the guys and girls here at the GAUGE, a friendlyer bunch you`ll not find anywhere...have a good one..steve

I heard Australia is an island off the coast of New Zealand.....:eek: :eek: :D :D :thumb:

my mom is from new zealand and have family there.

take care down under steve.

john

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
J&A_RR said:
I heard Australia is an island off the coast of New Zealand.....
eek.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
thumbsup.gif

my mom is from new zealand and have family there.

take care down under steve.

john
yep, John, you know the place, that little island of NZ about five time its size, AND TWICE THE SIZE OF TEXAS, where everything is BIGGER n BETTER n BRIGHTER, yep, yep you know the place alright:wave: ...have a good one..steve
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Welcome Joel....glad you joined the group. Anything we can help with is just a question away.

77Railer

Dusty old rails are better than new shiny ones....they have character. :)

rsarber

Jan 29, 2005
Joel, Welcome to the Guage. I am fairly new to the hobby also and have been gaining a lot of info from everyone here. I am in northern Indiana and drive to Indy just to go to the hobby store by the Castleton mall off of 82nd street. Nice place, always walk out with to many bags of goodies. Anyhow, good luck on the layout.
Rick

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Honger said:
I’m looking forward to sharing experiences and gleaning wisdom on the forum and appreciate the forum as a place to do so. I’ve been lurking a week or two, but I’ll soon be spewing questions and hopefully have something to offer now and then.

Regards,
Joel

Welcome abouad Joel -- There's plenty of good stuff in here :) :)

Thanks for saying hello & good luck on the layout. :)

Honger

Apr 7, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
Doc Holliday said:
Welcome to the Gauge Joel.

Sounds like you know where you're going. I'm looking forward to some pics along the way.

Doc

P.S. I like the Mexico part. What impact did NAFTA have on your operation?
Well, NAFTA didn't affect operations on the SJM&E much because the namesake is actually a city in Missouri called Mexico. =) Kind of deceiving and I picked it intentionally. It gives the railroad name a sort of exotic and ambitious flavor. Seems like many railroads of earlier years named their railroads quite ambitiously.

And thanks for such a warm response. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy being a member here.