How many do you really need?

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Okay I am very bored with the board again. So, here's another one of my crazy question and answer formats. Just tell me if you want me to stop, or that you can't live without my creativity.

Now, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How many locomotives do you really need for your layout? Or how many locomotives do you want to have?

2. If you own more than 1, how many of them do you run?

3. If you own brass pieces, do you run them, display them or simply leave them in the original boxes and rarely look at them.

Rolling stock:

1. We know most of us have many more cars than we do locomotives. So, what is the ratio of your locomotive to rolling stock? (Example: I own 15 locomotives of which 4 are brass and my rolling stock consist of 40-45 pieces. So my ratio is somewhere around 3 to 1)

2. Are you inclined to believe that you can never own enough rolling stock?

3. And finally, how many of those pieces simply remain in the box never run?

Dog

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Oh man Dog, you're gonna make us confess to our excesses here!:D Truth be told, I could run the layout to my satisfaction with two locomotives..and maybe a switcher on the side. I own nine. Granted, I do rotate them to maintain my interest (sometimes the F units, sometimes, the Geeps, sometimes the U Boats...oh and that Doodlebug I bought even though its 20 years behind my era. :) ) I do run them all though! Nothing stays in the box long at my house.

Brass? That's a whole nuther smoke! My most expensive locomotive cost around $85 and it was my wife who bought it as a present since she knows I'm too chea...er.. frugal to go that high usually.

Loco:rolling stock ratio is probably about 10 to 1 or so.....maybe more. I have many cars that I haven't put on the layout recently and I still buy them at flee markets. I think I'm getting choosier about what I buy. I'll go to stores and flee markets with a purchase in mind. I must be getting responsible because nowadays, if I don't find what I want I don't buy anything! :eek:
Ralph

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
These are honest answers. Not trying to be funny or brag.

1. How many locomotives do you really need for your layout?
One.
How many locomotives do you want to have.
One of each.

All of them. Not all at once though. (281 at last count)

3. If you own brass pieces, do you run them, display them or simply leave them in the original boxes and rarely look at them.
I have a few, I treat them the same as the others.

Rolling stock:

1. We know most of us have many more cars than we do locomotives. So, what is the ratio of your locomotive to rolling stock? (Example: I own 15 locomotives of which 4 are brass and my rolling stock consist of 40-45 pieces. So my ratio is somewhere around 3 to 1)
I have about a 2-1 Ratio.

Yes.

If there are any never run, it's by accident not by intent

By the way this is only my HO trains I'm talking about here and doesn't include the 30 or so in the shop being pieced together or worked on.

mnguy

Jun 5, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Hello,

I really need just 4 loco's for my layout. Two 75' loops, with 2 trains running at a time on each loop.

I would like 16. I currently have 12, I will someday add a narrow gauge heisler, a GN A/B (Empire Builder someday), and another narrow gauge shay. Someday the DM&IR 3 spot steam loco. I currently have 6 steamers and 6 diesels. Rarely get bored.

I run all of them, at least 2 at a time, often 5 at once, occasionally 8 at once.

I have 1 brass 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone that I like running, but gives me problems (going to have to relay some track). It sure is nice to watch. I remotored it when I got it, but it was already nicely painted.

58 cars now. Probably buy a couple more, but not much. So thats about 5 to 1. I don't like having anything in boxes. Everything I have is on the layout (well, there's 3 ore cars left to build). Pretty much everyone gets a little stage time during the week.

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
You guys are great! I just love the responses to these questions, keep 'em coming. I hope everyone out there in HO land finds the responses interesting and fun.

Thanks for making the board not so boring!

Dog

Grassweed

Oct 28, 2002
Visit site
If you find the Gauge boring, why stay. I myself never find anything in here of a boring nature. If I did, I sure wouldn't mention it to offend anyone.

GW

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
GW I have to agree with you and say that I'm never really bored but there are times when a little more info or conversation wouldn't be nice. I'm sure that Dog is not trying to offend anyone but rather trying to spark some more interest maybe,(not knowing him myself).

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I had to do some thinking to answer this question. I figure I need 36 locos to operate my layout the way it is intended. 22 for the NYC, 6 passenger trains, 6 freight (doubleheaded) a milk train, switcher and road switcher. Need 14 for the JGL, yard switcher, 2 road switchers, 3 passenger and 6 freight ought to do it. About 30 have decoders installed and are on the layout presently. Perhaps a dozen older units that haven't seen light of day in years, but most will eventually. Still have a hard time staying away from some locos, such as the new Berkshire. Having just bought an Erie brass Berk, I've been able to resist so far. I haven't counted freight cars, but I guess about 130 or so. Another 40 easy waiting to be built. About 30 passenger cars so far. Hope more accurate NYC cars become available. While I own several brass locos, I won't buy brass rolling stock. My brass gets painted, weathered and run.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by belg
GW I have to agree with you and say that I'm never really bored but there are times when a little more info or conversation wouldn't be nice. I'm sure that Dog is not trying to offend anyone but rather trying to spark some more interest maybe,(not knowing him myself).

My favorite way to stir the coals is to ask, has anyone seen The Box lately??? :D :D :D

~or~

What's the best way to clean track? :D :D :D

hehehe

OK, I don't know how many I need, but I always want more.

As far as a count, I have no idea. I've lost track and half the stuff is in unfinished kit form or is part of a plan to be bashed at a later time. This is especially true for the NG and logging stuff, which is mostly just bits and pieces and a few 3 in 1 kits.

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Grassweed,

Lighten up bro! Like someone said it's just conversation to get things going. And yes, it does get boring, I'd have to strongly disagree. When you start visiting this board often, lately there have been very few posts, and for many of us this is disappointing.

So, get off the couch and rather than bash the action, why not post something constructive.

As your name implies, loosen up!

Dog

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
1. How many locomotives do you really need for your layout? Or how many locomotives do you want to have?

I could probably run my planned layout with three or four engines. I own 11 plus a doodlebug. I'd probably buy more, but I am particular about what I buy. I'm modelling a branch-line, I have all steam, nothing bigger than a mikado or pacific and mostly moguls and ten-wheelers.

Right now, none, my layout is still in the planning stages. My plans call for "cassette" staging so I'll probably run everything I have.

I don't have any brass, I'm also too frugal (OK, cheap) for that.

Rolling stock:

I never counted my rolling stock, but I'm probably in the area of 8-10 cars/engine. Plus I'll be ordering some stuff from MDC's clearance rack in the near future.

Not really, I'm also particular about my rolling stock. Mostly 40 footers, and passenger cars of a type appropriate for mostly commuter service behind my ten-wheelers.

Again, right now they're all in the box, but eventually I plan to see everything I have on the layout at one time or another.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Mastiffdog
Grassweed,

Lighten up bro! Like someone said it's just conversation to get things going. And yes, it does get boring, I'd have to strongly disagree. When you start visiting this board often, lately there have been very few posts, and for many of us this is disappointing.

So, get off the couch and rather than bash the action, why not post something constructive.

As your name implies, loosen up!

Dog

I have spent nearly 3 years with this "Big Blue" and kept it clean.

Thats as far as this is going, NO flame wars in here please.

Shamus

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My C&HV was set up for 15 locomotives..My C&O is roster is base on the real C&O which means I have a ton of GP7s and 9s.Now I could get by with one unit on my C&HV home layout.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can run only one at a time if I use DC.However I use DCC and I can run 2-3 at a time on my current layout by moving units around in the engine service area.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a few, I treat them the same as the others.
I don't own any brass if I did I would use them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolling stock:

1. We know most of us have many more cars than we do locomotives. So, what is the ratio of your locomotive to rolling stock?
I would say 3 to 1.I have 75 locos and around 250-260 cars.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No,I believe there should be a limit one sets for his/her self on how many car or engines they can use..I think I have to much.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tough question for me to answer..I use 60 cars on my home layout and the remainer is at the club either on the layout or stored in my locker..However my cars like my locomotives is rotated at the club every 30-60 days so no all my cars get use..The only way they stay in the box is if they are waiting to be built.I have trays that I store them in at the club.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com

-My current layout is designed to be run with one locomotive. Two loco operation is possible. I would like to have all of the locomotives.

-I own 6 good locos and 4 cheapos. I run all of them, my son and daughter run the cheapies, usually into each other

- I don't own any brass locos for the same reason I don't own designer jeans or Harley Davidson motorcycles, can't justify the expense vs. the value.

Rolling stock:

1. We know most of us have many more cars than we do locomotives. So, what is the ratio of your locomotive to rolling stock?

-About 5 to 1 mostly box cars, tank cars and flatbeds, with very few passenger cars.

- I own more than enough rolling stock for my layout.

-I have several cars that I do not run due to size limitations on my current layout, there are two spots where the clearence does not allow for anything too long or too tall.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Well, according to my calculations I will need a total of 84 locomotives for my basement empire (right now of course I need a lot less for the 7 x 12 in the garage) --- FORTY THREE (43) Rock Island units, TWENTY SEVEN (27) Southern Pacific, NINE (9) Santa Fe units, three CN units, and a pair of Cotton Belts.

They all get run at some point or another (I think I have about 20 that are currently operational, say another 10 or so that are in the works).

The lone brass locomotive (Santa Fe GP40X) does get run, although I have chosen *NOT* to weather it.

Rolling Stock: 6 to 1

I can honestly say that some rolling stock has not hit the layout yet (I currently have 133 operational rolling stock). But it has all been acquired with the half-basement layout in mind. And I do actually believe you can have enough locos and rolling stock. Mind you, I don't know if I'll ever get there; and even if I do, new rolling stock will come out that I'll still want and buy (cause it's kewl).

CN1

May 6, 2003
A broad question that leaves many possible answer:

(a)4-5: Why? Because I work and I take care of my familly. My layout grows at a slow rate. That's all I need for now. BTW How many trains can you run at once by yourself and still have fun?

(b)5-10: Why? Because In this scenario I managed to dedicated more time to the hobby. Therefore I run more trains, more often and sometimes with the help of other "operators". I also rotate the various type of loco's operating at once on the layout.

(c)10-25: Why? Because in this scenario I have built an extension. The mainline is now 100% double track and I also included a reverse loop and 2 statging yard. The layout required 2-4 people to fully operate.

(d)35: Why? Same as above except I now discovered multiple-lash-up consist

(e)75+: Why? I have won a small fortune at the lottery. I now have a basement (Basement? anyways..) layout room that measure 150-250 square feet, just for ME and my TRAINS!!!

(f)None: Why? Because I have gone crazy with all that money:D

wnanney

Jul 2, 2002
Visit site
Locomotives:

1. How many locomotives do you really need for your layout?

10 - Usually two consist containing four locomotives each with two in the switch yard.

Or how many locomotives do you want to have?

A pair of every modern locomotive on the market today - so far about 72 of them in my roster.

10 at a time - have run all 72 at one time or another!!

NO BRASS- NO AMMO SERGEANT!! OOPS - That was in basic training!!

Rolling stock:

4 to 1 - I have a large intramodal, a large grain, a large mixed consists and four passenger trains. Shortest one is about 12 cars long up to 30 cars long.

Have plenty but always want to build a new train - coal train is next!!

None so far - have run them all at one time or another!!

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
1-I operate alone so I don't really need more than one lash-up, but I try to follow a sequential schedule with trains staged about the place so the sky is the limit. I want more.
2-I own about 40 and regularily run 20-24 over a month.
3-No brass...frugal...but would run it if I had it.
On the rolling stock, one can never have enough. I have about 11:1, 450 pieces. I have another 15-20 kits on the shelf waiting to be built, but I don't intentionally have any static rolling stock.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com

I only NEED one, I do own eight

One on the home layout, 4 regularly at the club, they all do get their turn eventually thru the year.

Rolling stock:

Currently 2 to 1

I plead the 5th.

I still plead the 5th.

My layout is a small switching layout based on John Allen's "Timesaver". I did this intentionally as, when it comes to model trains, I do inhale...deeply. Keep 'em coming Dog, confession is good.

;) :p :D