hoppers

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
I'll be needing quite a few coal & gravel hoppers and was wondering if there was a preference on brand. Upgrading to metal wheels and Kaydee couplers adds expense, so I was hoping to start with a good hopper.
Thanks, Jim

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I know they don't have metal wheels, but I just put together a quintuple-set of Athearn ATSF coal hoppers last night (arrived from eBay earlier in the day). I usually consider Athearn 'adequate' and 'good value', but these hoppers are very very nice. And like most Athearns accept #5's quite easily in their pocket. I had to add some extra weight inside the hoppers, but other than that, they do look very smashing.

Other than that, you might wanna upgrade to Walthers or Intermountain, but I'm not sure what kind of hoppers either makes.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Accurail makes nice hoppers also, but think with all these brands you will want to change to metal wheels and kadee's. The Accurails come with knuckle couples, but I don't like them. I use Kadee almost exclusively, I leave the Proto couplers in place till I have a problem with them, then install Kadee.

Gary

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
If you mail order bulk, couplers are less than a buck per car Part Number: 380-11. Rarely need the draft gear box, but it's only $2 for 20 Part Number: 380-232.

Wheelsets are also about a buck a pair for smoothies Part Number: 380-520 or wibbed Part Number: 380-523 . It sounds like you won't get metal wheels even with some of the "quality" cars.

So depending on what you charge yourself for your labor :D you can't come out ahead if you spend too much trying to get those features. You also need to add I think 7.50 for shipping if you were to order from 1stplace.

To me, it's easy and enjoyable work to upgrade. I do find The Tool is very helpful in gertting metal wheels to spin freely in palstic trucks.

jon

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I decided to go with Phil's recommendation and order the Stewart Hoppers @ $5/ea, not only for the low price but also I'm from the Hudson Valley and the name selections have good NE selections plus the couplers look like Kaydee. All I need to do is change the plastic wheels.
Take care, Jim

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
I was having a lot of problems with metal wheels on IHC trucks after trying Kaydee and P2K & was told to try Intermountain. They are more money (bulk rate is about $50/100) but sure work great. I don't know anything about 'The Tool". Does it reshape the truck pockets & /or confirm the axle length & bevel?
Jim

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Sorry I broke the link. It's fixed now:

The Tool

My understanding is it forms the 60 deg taper and smooths/deburrs. I know before use, the wheels are "sticky" then after wards they spin freely like a nice ball bearing. You can actually spin the wheels, then set the car down on the table and it starts to take off :) That's with old tyco and new Model Die trucks that came with cheap ore cars. Funny, the hobby store guy didn't want to sell it to me. I guess he wants to sell new trucks :)

Only prob. I've had with it is the little rubber thumb grip rubs on the coupler on the tyco talgo type trucks and makes it hard to impossible to turn. It works so well on the others that I just can't bring myself to cut off the grip. I'll probably convert those to chassis mounted couplers anywho.

jon

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
About Kadees wheels. I have a few sets of them and Kadee blackens every part of their wheelsets including the treads. This comes off the wheels and onto the track. I buffed it off with my dremel tool.

I use P2k's now and have no problem with them.
Other people use Intermountain or Jaybee wheelsets because they are heavier than P2k's.

About The Tool. The Tool has a cutter on one end and the other end has a point on it like the end of a P2k's axle. To use it you insert it into the truck like you would a wheelset. Squeeze the sideframes together and spin the cutter. The cutter will remove any flash in the journal. Flip it end for end and do the other side.
Works great on Walthers trucks.

I think I bought mine from MB Klein, but I'm sure other places carry it.

No only will the metal wheels keep your track cleaner, the "clickty-clack" sound is cool.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Marty

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon

Are the P2K's the best metal wheelsets? I've only used Kaydee.

jon

The Kadee wheelsets will not fit the Steward hoppers (or at least they didn't the last time I tried, too long). It isn't a matter of which company makes the best metal wheel sets, I use almost all of them. My personal preference does happen to be P2K's.

The Tool cleans and smoothes out the bevel on your trucks. even a relatively free rolling car will roll much better. I can add about 50% more cars to a train if they all were "tooled" than if they were not. Only problem, your cars will roll on grades that you thought were flat before.:eek:

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Originally posted by jimnrose
I was having a lot of problems with metal wheels on IHC trucks after trying Kaydee and P2K & was told to try Intermountain. They are more money (bulk rate is about $50/100) but sure work great. I don't know anything about 'The Tool". Does it reshape the truck pockets & /or confirm the axle length & bevel?
Jim
Yes.
Marty