Highway overpass

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Here is a picture my Dad took back in the fifties of the Highway 58 overpass just a little west of Woodford, CA.

Attachments

• Copy of keenewoodfordwjpimage.jpg
    Copy of keenewoodfordwjpimage.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 218

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
My brother wants to do a prototypical NTrak module of this scene and I volunteered to make the overpass with styrene. So far so good, the only problem is I am making it to dimensions he supplied from his partially completed module. He is in Canada and I am in Connecticut and using a mock up of his dimensions I am scratch building this thing.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 204

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
The pink foam is not the module but the heights he supplied for the overpass construction and is for my reference only. The actual overpass is twice the length, but we had to limit the size of the module. The overpass will start at the edge of the module and cross over the red/blu/yel lines and onto the mountain.

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 202

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Painting will be a problem as the photograph is black and white. I assume the railings and roadway are concrete and will be painted accordingly, the steel "I" beams and towers I can only guess that they are grey in color. Any help would be appreciated here, this is California in the late fifties and the overpass pictured has since been replaced.

Attachments

• MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 199

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Shipping the completed structure should pose no problem as long as I do not attach the towers. Hope my brother does not ask me for the vehicles I pictured.

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 198

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Maybe the girder portion would be a dark version of seafoam green, but closer to forest green, I saw this on some bridges in my (near Oakland, CA) area, but not sure if this is comtemparary, or it just looks old...hmm...