Hi, I'm new

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Hello everyone!

Well I hope this forum is better than the forum I was at and alot friendier. In the other forum they just kicked me off for fun. I hope you all are friendly, cause I dont want trouble.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Hello PennRailRoads and welcome to the Gauge!:)Everybody that I've met here is friendly and helpful, and IMHO there is not a better one.Really nice here is the attach file feature that lets you post pictures directly to the post. Out of curiosity what was the reason they gave for kicking you off the other forum and do you care to name it?

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi PennRR's!
Welcome to The Gauge!
It's amazing how people can get so bent out of shape about a simple hobby isn't it? I don't think you'll experience too much of that here. I never have, anyway.
Hey, tell us more about yourself...what do you like? (something tells me the Pennsy :) ) What scale? What era? Do you have a layout? Do you have pictures?
Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Is the Penny part of the UPRR now. It seems to me we acquired a couple of those feeder railroads somewhere in the east. Maybe it was the NYC, I can't remember.

Anyhow, welcome. Watch out for the RIL gang. They'll try to get you to buy into the RIL being the "Road to Ride" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob

"Always Looking West"

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi PennRailRoads,
Welcome to the gauge, as I am almost the oldest in here, I'll say this, all the gang in here are a great lot, no back kicking or brow beating, just a friendly lot. "ARN'T YOU".

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
Welcome

I came from other forums where there was a lot of arguing and bickering before 'The-Guage' and can attest that you won't see that here (unless it is from your friends, but they never agree with you anyway...of course, we all know more than our friends know, so what does it matter, right?).

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Welcome to The-Gauge,

I know how you feel about other forums,I'm on one now that I only signed up for and haven't gone back but my mail box is full of useless stuff I could care less about.
The feature I like (other than the picture posting ) is that if someone replies to a post that your subscibed to you get an e-mail.

Just so you know : The Rock Island Was A Mighty Fine Line:D :D

Sorry Bob:D :) :D

Shane

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
All I can say Shane is that if you have always lived out there in clam chowder country I have most likely rideen the RI many more times that you have...... eat your heart out:( ;) :D :p :p :rolleyes: :eek:

Bob

Grew up where I could see the Rockets run from the front porch!!!

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Bob,
I am like sooooooooooooooo jealous :( :D :(

But I was furtanate eneogh as a kid growin up to have the Boston & Maine go right behind my dads furniture company.The West Swanzey Depot was about 150' from the shop.but was gone long before I came to be.There was another frieght building on the other side of the tracks next to the Depot, that burned down when I was around four or five but I still remember going over there with my dad and watching it smolder the next day.

Back in the fifties there was a siding that went right up to my dads shop and they'd load chairs into the box cars.

The Depot sat where that bald spot is in front of the frieght house. I'll see if I can get some pictures in here.

the building on the left is my dads and I managed to get a shot of the depot in ther two.The pictures where taken in '52 and'54 respectfully.

The GP's used to come through and toss us candie if we were there,( I was the chubbiest kid in the family, cant understand why):D :D :D

Shane

Attachments

• shop and depot.jpg
    shop and depot.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 131

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

There have been any number of good articles in both the MR and the RMC over the years about the Boston and Maine and those who model it. They are fun to read and learn about.

Bob

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
At the end of the track where the box car is sitting used to be a single stall house that they used to keep a small steam engine in.That was back when my dad was a kid.

The foundation to the caol shed is still there under the ruble of the building. When I was measuring the tracks from the bridge to the road,I found a pipe next to the coal shed that comes up from the ground with a cap and lock on it.Next time I'm over there I'll have to look at the lock to see if its a B&M.

I even did some flower beds for the wife with some of the left behind rr ties still got the date nails in them.

Shane

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Pennrailroads,
If you've read the replies to your post, you should now have a good idea what this forum is like. Welcome aboard ! You wouldn't happen to include some EBT in your layout would you ?.
Pete

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by RI541

Just so you know : The Rock Island Was A Mighty Fine Line:D :D

Sorry Bob:D :) :D

Shane

"Is", Shane, "IS a mighty fine line!"

It will live forever on our layouts!

Welcome to the maddness (and fun), PRR !

Note that the Rock Islanders have their own little piece of the Gauge, where they let us play! But you are welcome there, too!

- George

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replys guys!

Hello PennRailRoads and welcome to the Gauge!Everybody that I've met here is friendly and helpful, and IMHO there is not a better one.Really nice here is the attach file feature that lets you post pictures directly to the post. Out of curiosity what was the reason they gave for kicking you off the other forum and do you care to name it?

The name of the forum was Trainboard.com or somthing! They kicked me off because they just felt that I wasnt of much use.

You can post pictures here? Wow I have found the right forum to talk about trains. In Trainboard they would'nt let you post pictures, they were too scared that the owner of the pictures would sue them. Now tell me something, what are they thinking? Sure it's a great idea, just send an attachment of the link and poof your there. But I feel that someone can enjoy pictures if they are shown on the forums directly, and if someone ask you where you got the picture should provide the link. Those on that Trainboard forum dont know whats good from bad. Go figure! :rolleyes:

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Hi PennRR's!
Welcome to The Gauge!
It's amazing how people can get so bent out of shape about a simple hobby isn't it? I don't think you'll experience too much of that here. I never have, anyway.
Hey, tell us more about yourself...what do you like? (something tells me the Pennsy ) What scale? What era? Do you have a layout? Do you have pictures?
Enquiring minds want to know!

Well I like PRR the most and a little bit of the UP as well (those Big Boys and Challengers are fantastic). And since both are (or were) big time steam logos they both go great together. Like they say bigger is better! :D

The scale that I'm mostly insterested in is the HO (or Horribly Oversized as they put it on Trainboard.com) . The era that I like is steam, the kind from the 1940s and back. Yes I do have a layout, it measures only 7 ft. by 4 ft and on it, it has 2 HO trains running opposite from one another on an oval, and a N scale train right in the middle of the two, the N scale runs on a figure 8. Sorry I dont have pictures but when I do you will like what you see, I had to completely remodel the board, I use it for Christmas.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks Tyson.

And where would I have gone to see the EBT operate? I think it must be a well kept secret as all of the narrow gauge I see being modeled is D&RGW or something west. A narrow gauge in Vermont or anywhere in New England would off a great opportunity to develop some fantastic scenery. How about modeling it during the fall time the leaves are changing colors:cool:

The same would be true farther south in the Smokies, like the Tweetsie. We have a modeler here in Rolla who models the Tweetsie in HO. Pretty neat

Bob