Hey Tim K

Tim K

Dec 30, 2005
Stoney Creek On. Canada
Hi Lester and gang.

All is going well here just very busy with family and work.

We have made some very good progress with the layout.

Bench work is finished (for now:thumb: ) and about 75% of the track is temporarily down.

We even built a foam mountain that is about nine feet long , we then brought in the dynamite crew to blast a path through it so we could lay some track .
My kids loved that part we had pink foam everywere.

I have been doccumenting everything with photos so when I get a chance I will post it as a newbies first attempt at MRR:eek:ops: .

We have decided on a modern theme and are now looking at buildings to suit before we can finish the track laying.

My large yard is temporarily on hold until a good part of this layout is complete I will then add an addition to one end forming a large L shape and use it for my yard.

what is a decent length yard for a 12X4.6 layout ?

I have been reading a lot trying to learn as much as I can , plus I am still very nervous about the plaster part of the mountain.

Are you sure there are no pink mountains anywere ? :( .

Well back to the books.

Thanks for your interest Lester

Tim K

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Tim K said:
We have decided on a modern theme and are now looking at buildings to suit before we can finish the track laying.

My large yard is temporarily on hold until a good part of this layout is complete I will then add an addition to one end forming a large L shape and use it for my yard.

what is a decent length yard for a 12X4.6 layout ?

A yard should be able to handle all trains, and be so that a yard switcher can organize a train without getting on the mainline, and halting other traffic. The best way you can decide on a yard is to decide on what sort of industries your railroad services. This will give you the maximum train length, and then you'll know the correct length for your yard tracks.

For example, say you have a plastic pellet transfer, wich recieves two 50' covered hoppers, an oil distributor that takes 4 23,000 gallon tank cars, and a factory that recieves two 50' box cars. each of those cars is roughly 7 1/2 inches. Your train will be about 60 inches, or 5 feet. It will require 7 pieces of straight track. That would have to be the second longest track. the one before it would be slightly larger naturaly, and the rest can be shorter for shorter trains. This is why you are lucky to have so much space.

There is also a book on yards by Kalmbach you can buy.

There is also a site on the internet that lists all the yard suff, but I can't remember it. if i find i'll link it.

Are you sure there are no pink mountains anywere ? :( .

Only if you are drunk!

L

lester perry

Most people use plaster of paris which sets up very fast(5- 10 minutes). I use patching plaster from home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot). It takes 60 - 90 minuts to set up and has the same results as far as I can tell. To me that is the biggest problem with plaster I can't work that fast, this stuff is easy to work with.
Les