Hey Robin, have you seen this?

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by 2slim, Mar 16, 2005.

1. 2slim

2slim Member

Got a copy of the March Railroad Model Craftsman magazine and there is an article about this company Paper Creek Models . They seem to have some pretty nice looking material sheets, I think the structure kits are kind of expensive. The article in RMC mentions using sheet wood as an underlayment to prevent warping due to humidity. I don't recall you ever complaining about this using your cereal box construction. Do you use extra bracing to prevent that? I am toying with the idea of ordering some of the material sheets as I have a couple of cabins to build for my friends layout. I will keep you posted.

2slim :thumb:
  2. rdlshadow

rdlshadow New Member

This guy makes a great product. I have used his shingles and other roofing items. The way that they are cut and the thickness makes them look so real. I have not done any of his structures yet. But having done paper models in the past I would say yes use some osrt of backing to prevent warping. But this guys products are A+
  3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Yes, I used their Cedar Shingles and found them to be very realistic looking and easy to work with. I applied them over a styrene roof. Would not use paper without some form of backing.

Val
  4. 2slim

2slim Member

Hi all,
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered a sheet of shingles and a sheet of the unpainted wood. So do you think I should make the cabin out of say cereal board and then laminate the material sheets to that? Or would that still be too thin? I was really impressed with the photos of the depot, that would make a cool addition to a layout. I wonder if that small dock is made of strip wood? I wish they did a sheet of windows and doors. I think I'm going to download the little outhouse too.

2slim
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

If I remember correctly, Robin uses corregated cardboard for reinforcement.
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thats true Russ. I have also used some pine strips at times but corrugated cardboard reinforcement works really well.
  7. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The other advantage to the corrugated cardboard for reinforcement is that it is about the same cost as the cereal board.