Help!!!!!

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Sure you can. whether or not it runs well is another question. There's alot of dust and other funk outside that might hinder good running (keeping track clean and in good order inside is work enough), which is not as apparent with the larger scales.

But, if you are up for it, try it. I wouldn't get too elaborate though. Maybe a simple run. See how it fairs through the seasons. If you look at some of the outdoor layouts you'll notice that alot of the owners live in nice year-round climates. However, I have seen "real" snow scenes, but it was in a larger scale.

IMHO, I wouldn't, not in HO. Although, I would like to have a large scale outdoor layout.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
There are folks who have done AND with brass rail, too. I don't see why you couldn't do it with today's nickle-silver rail and bronze manual ground throws for the switches. Back to zebob thought though, it is pretty intricate and easily prone to the wiles of weather and wildlife, I would keep it simple, maybe run it around a patio railing or such. Wouldn't want Rocky or Bulwinkle to make off with your prized Big Boy or something ;) :D

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
yeah, i can see it now, a squirrel just comes out of no where, picks upa a box car and runs away never to be seen again. what youy need is cats.... cats that are afraid of the railroad. all 3 of mine are either petrified or very careful around them, which is a plus, cause it seems that other modeler's cats love to attack the trains. my tabby won't go near them. in fact you could easily trap him in an oval of track if you have enough trains goign around. the buzzing noise of even the quietest ones freak them out. i used to have hermit crabs around, but they all died. they did do their job though, lol.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I have seen pics of outdoor HO scale railroads. The one I remember the guy built it off the ground, maybe three feet high.
I've always wanted to do it, but was always afraid that my rolling stock would become a dog treats.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
well, i suggest spraying and coating your right of way and rolling stock with animal repellents ( and mosquito repellent while your at it, ;) ). theoreticly, that should keep the animals away, assumeing its potent enough. i know some determined animals will keep trying for it, (speaking of mosquitos, not even lethal doses of Deet would keep them off you in Assatigue island...) but i'm sure you can find some way to fend them off.

what kind of area do you live in?