Help with 'No ads' sticker

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Well, I know that it is an strange one (and no-trains related), but I need help about the 'no ads' or 'no junk mail' sticker that some people in the U.S. put on their 'snail-mail' mailboxes to avoid unsolicited ads.

Are there an standard model of these stickers in the U.S.? Or they are 'free-lance' designs? :confused:
I have asked to the US Postal Service, but without answer (maybe they think that I'm nuts or so :rolleyes: )

A friend of mine is an sticker collector (some people choose to collect some things... being able to collect TRAINS... :eek: ), and we argued about these stickers in the U.S. (here in Spain, we don't have -still- any law about the junk mail, and the advertisers can flood freely your mailbox in spite of how many stickers you put on it :mad: )

I have not been able to find in the net any image of these stickers, so maybe you can 'light' a bit that.

Thanks friends! :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
You can put as many stickers on your mail box as you want, but the U.S. Post Office still has the obligation to deliver all mail addressed to that address. They would be in deep do-do if they tried to sort out what was advertising and what was important, especially since someone paid them to deliver that stuff, as offensive as it may be. Besides, I frequently get credit card bills with ads all over the envelope and I would be a bit ticked off if the USPO determined that was junk and the next month I got late fees and interest added on.

Don

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Hello, ezdays

Maybe I should to have explained better. I understand that the Postal service is obliged to deliver the addresed mail (ads or no ads), but I have supposed that these stickers were intended to stop the un-addressed junk mail (leaflets, and so).

Here we have not been flooded -yet- by the addresed mail, but we get plenty of supermarket' leaflets, invitation to assist to exotic (and not -so-exotic) religions rituals, garage sales notices, and so on. They are a real nuisance, and, in holiday season, the burglars scoop for mailboxes filled with these junk mail, in order to know what home is unatended.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Javier, Here in the US it is unlawful to palce anything in a mailbox that is not delivered by the Postal Service. Thats why the UPS man leaves packages next to the door rather then putting them in one's mailbox.

In fact I think that if you read the "fine print" in the United States Postal Code you will find that once a mailbox is erected for the purpose of receiving mail it becomes the property of the Postal Service.

I've never seen those stickers.

Just some more from the Robber Barron's Vault of Useless Knowledge:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, Vic is right. It used to be that when you bought a mailbox at the hardware store, it had the imprint, "Property of the U.S. Post Office." They no longer do that, but it is still illegal to put anything in it that does not have a stamp and delivered by the Postal Service. Still there are those that don't pay attention to the law, and so they surely wouldn't pay attention to a sticker or sign. Just like junk email, no matter what you do to prevent it, they find ways of circumventing your efforts. Even though you don't pay attention and trash it, they are counting on that small percentage that will respond.

How anyone thinks that they can win over new customers by aggravating them and wasting their time, is beyond me.

Don

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by ezdays

How anyone thinks that they can win over new customers by aggravating them and wasting their time, is beyond me.

hehehe, then you gotta hear this one:

The time before last that I went to our PO to send some stuff across the pond, I reluctantly went to the butthead's window. He's a cocky young whipper-snapper who goes out of his way not to help. I forgot my tape to seal the USPS provided GPM enveloup. They only allow one piece of tape on the flap with this service. At the counter by the line, they had a roll of Global Priority tape. I guess they set it out to sucker little old ladies into using that service against their will. So I grab a piece and seal the flap. So, butthead says I can only use that tape for domestic. He says I can peel it off or fill out another enveloup. I begin peeling it off and ask him for a short strip of the clear tape he has sitting just out of my reach. He points across the room and tells me I will need to buy my own for $4 a roll. Just then, the window next to me opens up, and I say in a very loud voice, "I'll take my business elsewhere, thankyou!!!" Then I step over to the other counter, where a nice, and always helpful gentleman sits with his tape turned out facing the customers. I casually take a slice of tape and reseal the enveloup, complete the transaction and he politely asks if there's anything else he can do for me. I said, "You can fire him!" as I pointed to the butthead. He (the nice one) laughed out loud, along with half the line, and I enjoyed the remainder of my day! :D :D :D

Yesterday, a helpful lady was there, and she taped my envelope without me asking. I think next time buttheads there, I'll refuse to use his window.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jon,

One can get you riled up on either end of the spectrum. Our local Safeway grocery store must have the following policy:

Greet every customer no matter where you are and no matter what you or they are doing. If they pass by you twice, greet them twice since you can't afford to miss anyone.

Be sure to ask the customer, "are you finding everything you need?" Even if they are just walking in the door and don't have a basket yet.

If a customer slows down for any reason, even just to scratch their butt, be sure to ask them, "can I help you find something?"

If a customer looks like they are trying to decide, attempt to intervene and decide for them.

Be sure to interrupt two people when they are talking to each other, surely they must be discussing what to buy and you will be able to help them.

Ask everyone if they need help carrying their purchase out to their car, regardless be it is a little old lady with a cane and a full basket, or a 6' 6", 300 pound construction worker with a six pack of beer under his arm (I actually witnessed this one).

Oh yeah, our local post office doesn't have any buttheads working there like they do at yours. I think they all went to work at Safeway.:eek:

Don

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Thanks, Vic & Don. The advertisers seem to be made of same molds, everywhere... :rolleyes:

That was a good one, Jon! :D

So, nobody have seen or have a picture of one of these stickers? What a pity.
I have found curious sticker' pictures on the net, some bumper stickers against telemarketing ('I will never hire a telemarketer', or 'Good people don't do telemarketing'); other simply sound ('HONK if you love Jesus'); others about railfanning ('CAUTION, take siding: Railfan at large!) and so, but I don't have found any of these 'No Ads' or 'No Junk-Mail'.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You might want to try some of the "environmental" shops - the ones that sell rain barrels, and recycled paper. They often have a selection of anti-junk mail stickers.

I don't know if you'll find them on line, but you can always Google it. :)

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by jon-monon

LOL Did they help him find it?
Being reasonable goes a long way...

No, that usually requires at least an assistant manager for that detail. :eek: But regardless, they really do let you know that they want to help, even if they can't.:rolleyes:

"Reasonable", yes, but their policy statement does not include either that word or anything about common sense. When I go trudging in there at 6 AM on a Saturday morning, leave me be, I already know where the donuts are and I don't need sixteen people who have been up all night stocking shelves to try to cheer me up...:D

D:cool: N