HELP new to DCC

I'm thinking of getting a DCC system for my layout. Can anyone recomand one to me.
I look arround a little, (I don't know much about DCC) and found this one.

44902.jpg

It's a E-Z Command/DCC anyone use this one.
I don't have any loco's with sound, all I want to do with it is move my trains (HO)

Please help.

rfmicro

Sep 24, 2006
I do not use this system myself, but from reviews on other forums the Bachmann E-Z Command/DCC is adequate for small layouts and for folks who just want to run a couple of trains. Most folks found fault with the included Diesel w/decoder, but you get what you pay for. Programming the decoder is limited to numbers 1-9.

It sounds like it should fit your requirement and the prices are around $100.00.

Trent

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Jasbourre,

Why do you want to go to DCC? Those reason(s) should be taken into account when you select the system you buy. There are a few options around $100, several more at under $200, and many at $200++.

The Bachmann system you see there has only one advantage over a DCC power pack - it can address up to 9 locos, so you do not need (electrical) blocks. But it has no capacity to do sound (which you say you don't want - right now ;)), no walk-around, no expandability, and no (direct) multiple loco control.

I chose the Digitrax Zephyr because I wanted more advanced engine controls, including sound. THe unit is also compatible with any other Digitrax component for future expansion, it can handle multiple throttles, and it offers advanced programming capability with CV read. THe biggest advantage of choosing Digitrax though is that the majority of modellers in my area, and at the modular club, use Digitrax - any questions are easily resolved.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I stand corrected - you can indeed expand the capacity of the system, according to the Bachmann web site.

If your overriding consideration is cost, then this may be the solution for you. It is a basic system that will "move the trains". Do you plan on running more than one at a time? If so, you might want to consider the extra cost of additional throttles ("controllers") and whether the basic system's amp rating will be exceeded by what you want to run.

Andrew

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
I have the bachman E-Z command. On my first layout(a 4x12 double loop, no wye and no reverse loop) it worked great. To hook it up, all I did was unhook the dc, hook up the dcc, turn all the track switches on,and it worked great. I installed a decoder in a bachman spectrum. I did not buy the loco with the E-Z command. I am still building my new layout(went to a 6x12 in ho) so have not used it in a while. I think it's great for beginners like us.
loren

Hi jasbourre,:wave:
This has been pointed out before, but the EZ Command will NOT program
your decoder. If you need to change start voltage, speed steps, how
the lights work, etc you will need a programmer or have it done for you
by someone with a different controller. Probably with a Bachmann-supplied
decoder in a Bachmann engine, it's all fne. :thumb: Just be aware of what
you're getting! :) :) :) :)

gcodori

Jun 30, 2004
Just a heads up regarding not being able to program with ez dcc...

You can build a programmer for your computer for about $15 in parts (priced at www.futurlec.com - cheap electronics). Can be built on vero board, no PCB etching needed.
http://www.geocities.com/OzDCC/decprog.htm

Use the windows program Prolok (free) to program. This programmer is an updated version of Digitrax's programmer, and works with Windows XP. You just need to change the language setting to english.

enjoy!

I would recommend the AtlasMaster system. It's small and expandable with a walkaround throttle available, it has a few functions and is more than adequate for a small layout. Later, if you want a better system, you can upgrade to a Lenz system and just swap command stations, as Atlas uses the Lenz XpressNet system. You'd even still be able to use your Atlas throttle if you wanted. That's how I did it.

Mannix

Apr 9, 2006
I purchased the Prodigy Express this past summer and I am very happy with it. I purchased it on the Internet for $109.99 so the price was right. That price included everything that I needed.