Help identifying loco's.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I have a couple of engines i've aquired ;). I have no idea what brand they are and i would like to upgrade the motors in all of them. Any advice/assistance would be great!! ;0.

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

I think they are walthers but i could (and probably am) waaay off :).

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't know who made them, but they look like a can motor would fit in place of those open frame motors. You would have to take measurements on the length of the motor shafts to be sure.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
What you have are all vintage Athearn locomotives.
The SP GP9 Is the first Athearn gear drive design. You could probably sell it for enough to buy a new loco (or 2).
The 2 F unit drives are early 60s era Athearn drives. I have one I upgraded with a can motor, it runs well enough but is noisier than the newer Athearn drives.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
What you have are all vintage Athearn locomotives.
The SP GP9 Is the first Athearn gear drive design. You could probably sell it for enough to buy a new loco (or 2).
The 2 F unit drives are early 60s era Athearn drives. I have one I upgraded with a can motor, it runs well enough but is noisier than the newer Athearn drives.

Thanks for the help :). I noticed that the one w/ all metal gear housing etc looked better built than the others that had the plastic housing over the gears. Is there somewhere i can look up specific information on the sp gp9 to create an ad for it? I think i'm going to make display pieces out of the f units maybe a static diorama or something i can display at work. It feels like some of the gears may be broken inside those black housings.

I was more interested in remotoring the one w/ the metal houseing (sp) than the f models but if it has some value maybe i should leave it alone :). It run and all a little noisy for my tastse but starts up well. It looks like the comm could use a good cleaning and maybe some new brushes. I've used my rc car electric motor spray to clean out the motor i've relubed the bronze bushings w/ some light bushing oil (again from my rc car days w/ bronze bushings on my electric motors). I also cleaned the wheels with goo-gone and a touch of contact cleaner. All in all i'm proud of my first real cleaning job :).

I also have to say thanks the worm drives for my boxcab came the other day after weeks of procrastianting on ordering them. I also have a dcc decoder and i plan to put that on the layout tmrw to test what i learned from the Trainz railroad game about switching.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Those are indeed the first gear drives by Athearn..Sadly they are not worth very much except to a collector.As far as remotorering them why not keep them as is? After all you will need to upgrade the wheels as well and by the time you do all of the upgrading you can buy a Atlas GP7.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
the tinkerer in me :). I like the way they look to be honest and i really don't have the time or patience right now to do the weathering myself :) hahaa.

brakie said:
Those are indeed the first gear drives by Athearn..Sadly they are not worth very much except to a collector.As far as remotorering them why not keep them as is? After all you will need to upgrade the wheels as well and by the time you do all of the upgrading you can buy a Atlas GP7.