Help diagnosing a P2K BL2 problem

HoosierDaddy

Dec 2, 2004
Enemy Territory
I need a little help diagnosing an fixing a problem with a P2K BL2 that I recently acquired. The unit is used, so I don't know its past history. I'll try and explain the symptoms and maybe someone can tell me what the problem is and how to fix it.

This is an HO Proto 2000 BL2 locomotive. I'm working on a new layout, so for the time being, the only track I'm running on is Atlas code 100, a mixture of snap track and flex track. Minimum radius is 22 inches with zero grade. The problem with the engine is that it is making a lot of noise, that I would describe as an irregular clicking noise. It also appears that the engine runs rather jerkily while the noise is occuring. The problem is the worst in the curved sections, and through the straight portions of turnouts.

In slowing down the engine and watching the wheelsets through the worst of the problem areas, it appears that it may be partially rising up on the rails, and falling back down before derailing. The trackwork isn't the greatest on this temporary layout, but none of my other engines or rolling stock do anything like this. Is this a problem with the wheels or the track out of gauge, or is it something else. No, I do not have a NMRA gauge yet with which to check. Anybody have any ideas?

HD

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Lifelike 4 axle locos have a major problem with cracked gears on the axles. Pop off the cover on the bottom of the trucks and the axles can just drop out. Inspect the gears, if some are cracked you can order from LifeLike, they will probably send them free. I understand Athearn gears fit as well, never tried them.

Gary

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
That clicking sound is a telltale sign of cracked gears, early P2K's are prone to. As Gary said contact LifeLike, e-mail or call their customer service and they should send them free of charge. I never had a problem with them doing this.

Sometimes it is hard to see the crack but if the axles spin inside the gear, it's cracked.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Gary H Pfeil said:
Lifelike 4 axle locos have a major problem with cracked gears on the axles. Pop off the cover on the bottom of the trucks and the axles can just drop out. Inspect the gears, if some are cracked you can order from LifeLike, they will probably send them free. I understand Athearn gears fit as well, never tried them.

Gary

they work perfectly had two BL2's that I used them on. ;)

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
contact life like USA and ask about repair service. I had cracked grears in one of my p2k and they told me to send it in for free repairs and they sent it right back to me. gone less then a week and it was a free repair.
check their web site for numbers and email to contact them at.

HoosierDaddy

Dec 2, 2004
Enemy Territory
I inspected all four axles and I found cracks that ran the length of the gear on all of them. None of the teeth are broken, but there is a definite split from one end to the other. I would have never seen them if I didn't know what I was looking for and where to look. Thanks a million. Now to e-mail LifeLike to see about some replacements.

HD

Honger

Apr 7, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
Wow! This is excellent information. :thumb: My railroad is going to rely heavily on three BL2's from P2K... two of which are early models. Thanks for this pointer folks, I will keep my eyes peeled for this problem as well.

HoosierDaddy

Dec 2, 2004
Enemy Territory
Just an update and a shoutout for the customer service department of Likelike.

I called them today and the replacement gears are on their way. The customer service rep also is sending an entire coupler package to replace one coupler pocket cover that was broken. Friendly, fast customer service. I feel like I've won the lottery.

HD