Hello from next door!

Hello train enthusiasts! My name is Russell although I go by Amazyah on the forums.
I am one of the moderators from the Cardmodels forum.
I have been looking around the Gauge a little and found many useful things for cardmodeling such as diorama information like building scenes. mountains, trees, etc.
The main reason I am here today is because of a package I received from my Mother in Colorado yesterday.

The box contains a railroading set that I had as a child and she has kept for the last 40 years in storage. A 1954 American Flyer with the Engine and coal car a few other cars and enough track for a large figure 8 and of course the control box.
The set looks good but I know it will need some TLC and some cleaning.
The tracks are a little rusty but should clean up fine. I remember the locomotive even has smoke that comes out of the stack.

Anyone have any idea of the value of this set.
I can take some pictures later and upload them, if anyone is interested in taking a look at what I have.
Sorry, the set is not for sale, I am just curious.

Russell

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Unfortunately, I have not a clue as to what your set is worth but I do have some suggestions... definitely post some pictures... I think that will enhance your chances of getting a response. Also, snoop around ebay and see if you can find anything similar and watch it to see what the final selling price is. Not much help I know but for what it's worth....

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Amazyah,
You may find that the monetary value will never excede the sentimental value of something like this. So many times we hear of the things "Mom" through away, because they "had little or no value", that turned out to be "priceless" later on........like my collection of "Blackhawk" comics.
Happy to hear that you were able to find something of "value" here. It never hurts to see what the other guy is up to.
Pete

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Russell: Don't take eBay prices as a guide to value!
What you need is to take down the numbers on the side of the loco and cars - I think they should be 3 or 4 digits. This will tell the more expert among us exactly what you have. Any chance you have the boxes it came in?
Your library may be able to get an inter-library loan (if they don't have their own copy) of an American Flyer collectors guide. This will give you an idea of relative values, and possibly identify the set.
And while you're here, check out the section "Robin at his best" for our idea of good card modelling.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...I agree with the opinions voiced here. I also have an AF set from the mid-fifties (my age is showing....) and have expanded it a bit with purchases made on eBay. But what I see as prices on eBay don't mean a thing when I consider its sentimental value. A guy could lay a sack of gold coins in front of me...and I'd say "It's not for sale..".