Hello all

frankieboy180

Sep 18, 2006
Texas
Hi everyone.

I'm looking into getting back into model railroading after quite some time away. Over 30 years have elapsed since I was a kid playing with my Marklin trains. Now as an adult with a more spacious house, I finally have enough space to create a nice layout. I am looking forward to interacting with folks on this board and learning how much the hobby has changed since I was a kid.

My main focus will be finding high quality sets and rolling stock. I hope to learn about building layouts and good accessories and scenery. Any recommendations on manufacturers will definately be appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Frank

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hi Frank, welcome to the Gauge. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: You found the right place if you're looking for information. Lots of pictures all over the place on any scale you want. Helpluf tips, how-to's and a whole bunch of just nice folks to talk to.:D

Keep us posted on your progress, and just ask if you need any help navigating around here or you just need some questions answered.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Frank:wave:

You started out good 30 years ago with Marklin...no reason to change now. They are still tops in my opinion:thumb:

Attachments

• crocodile1a.JPG
    crocodile1a.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 77

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Welcome to the best place on the web! The moderators/administrators are tops, the information is accurate and freely given, and no matter how much or little you know - you'll always find help here.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Welcome aboard Frankie: Sounds like you fit the average MR person profile. Started young, got involved with real life and now coming back to trains. Its too bad that we had to give up railroading for such mundane things as raising a family, providing food and shelter and working. There should be a provision in lifes laws that puts Model railroading on a higher plane.

frankieboy180

Sep 18, 2006
Texas
Thanks

Thanks all. I appreciate the warm welcome.

Trust me when I say that I will have LOTS of questions. For now, i'll just be over here reading posts. :)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
frankieboy180 said:
Trust me when I say that I will have LOTS of questions... :)
WELCOME to the Gauge, frankieboy180!!!:wave::D SO, you have LOTS of questions, feel free to ask, there are MANY GREAT FOLKS here that would be MORE then willing to help out:thumb: . :D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
frankieboy180,
welcome to The Gauge...You picked the right place to learn and talk about mrring or just "hang out". It's a great bunch of guys and gals.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Welcome to The Gauge frankieboy180.
My 1st post on that forum was almost identical to yours, except that the "30 years" was replaced with "50 years". I received a Marklin set in 1954 when I was 6 years old.

You selected the right place here at The Gauge , all those nice people will help and encourage you in your new life of " Born Again Railroad Modeler".

Will you model North-American or European prototypes ?
Where are you living ? If you are in the US or Canada, expect to pay twice the price to get Marklin or Fleischmann models here compared to the price of the "local" stuff ( Atlas, Life-Like, Bachmann, Athearn etc ... ) .

frankieboy180

Sep 18, 2006
Texas
European

Biased turkey said:
Welcome to The Gauge frankieboy180.
My 1st post on that forum was almost identical to yours, except that the "30 years" was replaced with "50 years". I received a Marklin set in 1954 when I was 6 years old.

You selected the right place here at The Gauge , all those nice people will help and encourage you in your new life of " Born Again Railroad Modeler".

Will you model North-American or European prototypes ?
Where are you living ? If you are in the US or Canada, expect to pay twice the price to get Marklin or Fleischmann models here compared to the price of the "local" stuff ( Atlas, Life-Like, Bachmann, Athearn etc ... ) .

Thanks BT.

I would like to model European as I like the "Old World" look. I have not been around lately due to recovering from sticker shock: yes, Marklin is a bit expensive as are Fleischmann, Brawa, etc. I would like to try setting up a cantenary railroad but need to read more about it.