Headin' for home

Thanks, guys.

Trainclown, I honestly can't tell you a whole lot about the loco. Obviously, it's a 4-6-0, but that's about it. I think it might be a Mantua, but I really don't know because there are no manufacturer's markings on it anywhere. I used to think it was an MDC/Roundhouse kit, but now I doubt it.

About 20 years ago, a friend of mine got out of the hobby and gave me most of his "stuff" including this loco. None of the locos - diesel or steam - worked and I kept all of them packed in a large box with the rest of the "stuff." I finally dug this one out about 3 years ago, stripped it down, and cleaned it up. It runs now, although not very well, so I use it mainly as a photo prop.

As for the rest of the "stuff"... well, it's all still there in the boxes under some shelving in my basement... :rolleyes:

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Casey,
It certainly looks like a Mantua unit to me. Those puppies usually run really well (IMHO), I've got a couple that'll pull the sheet rock off the walls. Depending on how near-and-dear to your heart it is, you could probably get it running well again. Model Power now sells Mantua parts.

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Casey,
It certainly looks like a Mantua unit to me. Those puppies usually run really well (IMHO), I've got a couple that'll pull the sheet rock off the walls. Depending on how near-and-dear to your heart it is, you could probably get it running well again. Model Power now sells Mantua parts.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Lovely photo of a fine old lady in a great setting Casey.

I just "unpacked" my poor running MDC/Roundhouse version of that loco. It is identical in every detail to yours including the smokebox No plate and number except yours has brass domes.
The poor running qualities (of mine) is due to the brass wheels and hellish pickups from the drivers. Someday I'll get around to sorting them out.
Like you, I'm hanging on to it for photo ops as it really is quite a charmer.
The spacing of the rear drivers from the centre drivers was typical of 4-6-0's of the Siera RR circa 1880. If I'm wrong on the location or date I expect to be corrected by those more knowledgable than myself ... :) :D . (Brakie, help me out here).

I just love the photos you post, keep 'em coming.
Errol