Hauling The Cement

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by TomPM, Feb 6, 2006.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

LNE RS-2 road switchers bring in a load of cement hoppers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. TomPM

3. TomPM

4. TomPM

5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Another terrific roll-by Tom! Having a cement company on my layout makes me especially appreciative of those neat looking covered hoppers. I really like seeing the fallen flag roadnames. Most of them will later receive light gray paint jobs and black PC lettering. :)
    That sheriff in the top pic looks like a railfan!
  6. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Great pics. I am also a fan of those cement hoppers. What brand are those?

Down here at the Mykawa SF yard, there is a concrete plant. They bring in gondolas with gravel, to unload them they set a track hoe up on the cars, then they start unloading them with the bucket. I've been meaning to get a photo of them.

Do you have a cement plant on your layout? Would love to see it if you do. I'm considering putting one on my layout. I saw and ad in a 2004 MRR of a Walthers plant, looked pretty huge, and also looked pretty neat. MSRP was $70 though, makes me consider a scratchbuild. Although with the tinkering around I have done, I'm not sure scratchbuilding is all that much cheaper, I suppose it all comes down to resourcefulness in using cheap and free stuff versus buying scratchbuilding components.
  7. TomPM

Thanks guys!

The first one is a Bev-Bel/Roundhouse kit. The second one is a Roundhouse kit. The next five (LNE, D&H, 2 CNJ, PRR) are all Atlas models from their latest release.

Right now I do not have one. I am thinking about one but I have to see how the other structures I already have fit into the new layout.
  8. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I always enjoy railfanning your trains, Tom. I too enjoy seeing those "fallen flags", and covered hoppers are among my favourites, plus, I don't have to go out in the rain and snow to see them. Neat!

Here's a picture of one of the Elora Gorge & Eastern's first covered hoppers, a converted 36' Fowler Patent boxcar.
    [​IMG]

Wayne
  9. CharlesH.

CharlesH. Member

Everything looks great! I like a good weathered consist.

Wayne, is that a kitbash?
  10. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Charles, the 6804 is a scratchbuilt car, one of four that I built before Proto 1000 came out with the Fowler boxcar. The Proto cars were selling for $35.00 to $40.00 around here, much more that I'm willing to spend for freight cars, especially ready-to-run ones. I did get a deal later on six bodyshells at $2.50 each, so I scratchbuilt new underbodies for them, replaced all of the steps and grabirons with metal ones and relettered them. With new trucks and couplers, they cost about $9.00 each, plus I got a lot of modelling enjoyment too.

Wayne