Hauling The Cement

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
LNE RS-2 road switchers bring in a load of cement hoppers.

aaa.jpg

aab.jpg

aac.jpg

aad.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Another terrific roll-by Tom! Having a cement company on my layout makes me especially appreciative of those neat looking covered hoppers. I really like seeing the fallen flag roadnames. Most of them will later receive light gray paint jobs and black PC lettering. :)
That sheriff in the top pic looks like a railfan!

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Great pics. I am also a fan of those cement hoppers. What brand are those?

Down here at the Mykawa SF yard, there is a concrete plant. They bring in gondolas with gravel, to unload them they set a track hoe up on the cars, then they start unloading them with the bucket. I've been meaning to get a photo of them.

Do you have a cement plant on your layout? Would love to see it if you do. I'm considering putting one on my layout. I saw and ad in a 2004 MRR of a Walthers plant, looked pretty huge, and also looked pretty neat. MSRP was $70 though, makes me consider a scratchbuild. Although with the tinkering around I have done, I'm not sure scratchbuilding is all that much cheaper, I suppose it all comes down to resourcefulness in using cheap and free stuff versus buying scratchbuilding components.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks guys!

Gary S. said:
Great pics. I am also a fan of those cement hoppers. What brand are those?

The first one is a Bev-Bel/Roundhouse kit. The second one is a Roundhouse kit. The next five (LNE, D&H, 2 CNJ, PRR) are all Atlas models from their latest release.

Gary S. said:
Do you have a cement plant on your layout? Would love to see it if you do.
Right now I do not have one. I am thinking about one but I have to see how the other structures I already have fit into the new layout.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I always enjoy railfanning your trains, Tom. I too enjoy seeing those "fallen flags", and covered hoppers are among my favourites, plus, I don't have to go out in the rain and snow to see them. Neat!

Here's a picture of one of the Elora Gorge & Eastern's first covered hoppers, a converted 36' Fowler Patent boxcar.
EG-E_6804.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Charles, the 6804 is a scratchbuilt car, one of four that I built before Proto 1000 came out with the Fowler boxcar. The Proto cars were selling for $35.00 to $40.00 around here, much more that I'm willing to spend for freight cars, especially ready-to-run ones. I did get a deal later on six bodyshells at $2.50 each, so I scratchbuilt new underbodies for them, replaced all of the steps and grabirons with metal ones and relettered them. With new trucks and couplers, they cost about $9.00 each, plus I got a lot of modelling enjoyment too.

Wayne