Has anyone ever used Black Gaffers/Duct Tape...

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Greetings all,

Has anyone ever used Black Gaffers/Duct tape (the wide kind) to simulate asphalt pavement for streets, etc?

It seems to me that it would stick well and could be weathered with chalk to make it look well worn. Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I suppose it would work, as long as it stays glued down and the water based scenery that your might be putting down around it won't affect it. The only shortcomming I see is the fact that it is so thin and ashpalt roads are generaly just as high or higher than surounding scenery (water drainage) When you put your ground cover down it will be higher than the road.

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
I have a few rolls I use for a few of it's intended purposes. Taping up backdrops, holding flash brackets taping down extension cords for photo shoots, etc. It is tenacious on carpeting and porous surfaces for short periods of time. It is pretty sensitive to humidity and it doesn't hold up too well for long periods of time. It has a tendancy to bubble up slightly and loose its adhesion after a few days in one spot. It might be a good idea to stop by a local photo studio and ask to buy a remnant roll and test it first. At $35+ a roll, it can get expensive.

Two brands I use are Pro-Gaff and Shurtape. Shurtape is out of Hickory, NC 28603. Shurtape has more of an ashphalt texture to it.