GWR loco's - N gauge

dhutch

Nov 14, 2004
www.spurstow.com
I currently have two Grayhamfarish GWR (green) locos, a hall and a pannier and a fair bit of matching GWR rolling stock.

And im looking to get a third loco, and i was wondering what i should get!

- should i get a 2nd hand Grayhamfarish, just like the other two

- should i get one of the new Bachmann farishs

- or is there another company that i should have a look at first?

and then, should i get another hall, another pannier, or a Prairie, (or somthink else?)

and finaly, if i did get a 2nd hand grafer prairie, would £35 be a fair price, seeing as when it where new it would have been about that.

daniel

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Let me see what I have in my used N box... ;)
A quick look at my GWR 150 book suggests that you need another pannier. end of 1947 they has 1251 0-6-0T, 674 4-6-0 (almost half of then Halls), 458 2-6-2T, 391 0-6-2T, 253 2-6-0, 221 2-8-0.
So a prairie would be a good next choice.
I would suggest a goods or mixed traffic engine, unless you look at the pannier or the prairie as that.
No idea on the manufacturers. :cry:

dhutch

Nov 14, 2004
www.spurstow.com
from what i know (very little)

- the halls where fairly powerfull mixxed trafic locos, runing both passenger and freight equally often and equally well?
- the praires where "suburban passenger" - and did a bit of light freightwork?
- and the panneirs did small passenger trains, push-pull, ie branch lines?

daniel

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Greetings :)

dhutch said:
I currently have two Grayhamfarish GWR (green) locos, a hall and a pannier and a fair bit of matching GWR rolling stock.

And im looking to get a third loco, and i was wondering what i should get!

- should i get a 2nd hand Grayhamfarish, just like the other two

- should i get one of the new Bachmann farishs

- or is there another company that i should have a look at first?

and then, should i get another hall, another pannier, or a Prairie, (or somthink else?)

daniel
You are a little restricted by the number of manufacturers of GWR N-gauge locos.. 2 :)

Lets see whats available.. Farish / Bachmann 57xx Pannier 0-6-0, 94xx Pannier 0-6-0, 61xx Large Prairie, 4-6-0 Hall, 4-6-0 Castle, 4-6-0 King,

Apart from the 57xx and Hall, the rest are really main line passenger locos only (King and Castle) or would only be seen in or near London.. 94xx and 61xx were both designed for interurban main line work or heavy duty freight shunting and operations.

OR

Dapol 0-4-2 14xx Tank engine and shortly to come the workhorse of the GWR 45xx 2-6-2 Prarie.

Both these locos could be seen anywhere on the network, for most of the GWR period and beyond into BR days.

Dapol is the new entrant in the british market place and is stunning. The 14xx is probably one of the smallest working N-gauge locos that I know of and runs so sweetly. Its normal service would be with a single autocoach for push-pull passenger running, so with a 14xx and an autocoach you would get a complete train.

The new Dapol stuff is far superior in quality and appearance to Bachmann, in my opinion.

The following pictures are courtesy of tme Model Rail Shop in Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

Heres a picture of the 14xx just released... (Bachmann I have no room in a 4-6-0 tender loco for a motor.. eat your heart out) The size is only given away by the coupling visible :)

14xx.jpg

However, the new announcement is the small prairie, the 45xx due in may (hopefully)

Heres a pre production pic :-

45d.jpg

This was the ultimate workhorse.. passenger, freight, everything... Personally I would pre-order at least one of these, and possibly get a Dapol 14xx and autocoach now :)

Otherwise, a 57xx pannier from Bachmann, also a workhorse and could be seen on passenger, freight and autocoach workings everywhere on the GWR.

Regards

Graham

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
I didn't know Dapol had entered the British N scale market, that's excellent news. I think you'd be better off with a new Bachmann loco or maybe the dapol, some of the older Graham Farish loco's only have three pole motors and aren't that reliable. That said I had an old Farish large Prairie that ran beautifully.

I'd agree with David, a pannier (which operated everywhere) or a Hall if you'd like something a little bigger.

(also) Graham

dhutch

Nov 14, 2004
www.spurstow.com
so how diffrent are the new bachmann to the graham farish's that i bought back in 1997
- and are the dapol any good, becuase they have bit of a tarnished reputaion dont they?
- and if i do buy a second hand Grahamfarish, how can i tell how old it is, and how much should i look to pay for one?

daniel