green metallic paper D-whale's Vorcha

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Gotta start playing with the focus! Usually, you gently, I stress, gently, hold the camera button down, and the camera will focus, when it gets sharp, then take the picture. If you list what you are using for a camera, I can give you some pointers. The pictures are large, but too grainy, which means you have too fast of an exposure rate, not necessary for a stationary object! If you can't get it to lock on, use a blank sheet of paper right on the same spot, sometimes, you cut out a section of that paper to allow the camera focus beam to hit something. :)

Reactions: vipers7

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I will try that! usually when I am shooting, it goes past focus and then is out of focus and I have to start all over. learning my camera is something I need to sit down and spend a few hours on, its that complicated. I should look up the manual for it too.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The Paper Sheet cut out to fit over the center of the fuselage will give the beam a wide area to focus on. pull it up, without releasing the focus you just adjusted for, (just press harder) to take the pic. It should be very sharp. moving the sheet around can change the depths of field. :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

generaldiaz

Jul 9, 2014
the worst thing is when you have gotten very good with a camera, and then it die and have to get an new one and start over. although im glad I have a Kodak hd video camera that takes absolutely amazing picture (as long as the lighting is good) unfortunately it did not come with a manual (or a lot of features, video camera after all) so I had to learn everything on my own.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
i will definitely do that. one problem is that I did have it set for fast moving objects and I reset it for portraits, a few experiments will yield postable results. thank you for addressing this topic. I have noticed that people with cell phones also have bad pics, any hints on that for them?

generaldiaz

Jul 9, 2014
don't use a cellphone! the camera is those are absolutely horrendous. part of it is megapixels and cellphones have low count while cameras have a larger number. think of it like a TV, a standard TV has a certain number of pixels which is why they have a certain definition where as say a 4k TV has 4 times the number of pixels as that standard definition. and trust me. you can see the difference. WOW!!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I had an electronics repair shop for 10 years. I did all types of electronics. Some cell phones have excellent cameras, but you must set the picture to a smaller size so you can allow the lens to do something. I do have dedicated cameras for photography, and use the cell phone for candid shots. I like my Canon A3400, as it also shoots 1080P movies in Stereo. They cost around $124, but i have seen them less expensive. It does not have Photostitch, however, and I would buy a Canon Camera with that incredible feature. Most have it, I was surprised this one didn't. I ass/u/me/d it did. My cell phone has it! A Nokia Lumia 520, Windows 8.1 phone that cost me $59.00 dollars, that I just stuck a 32G Micro SD card into, has WiFi, and is the best phone I have ever owned! The voice interface called "Cortana" is actually quite amazing. Almost scarey! It has a dedicated camera button, which means you can really take pictures fast. It focuses very nicely. I quickly snapped this picture of my 1947 Georgi Kessler Violin I had just finished reconditioning. I had to reduce the size for the forum. This was a quick point and shoot with the Cell Phone. :)

61PwhMqYMnL._SY355_.jpg
lumia-520-all.jpg
Kessler.jpg

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Zathros you are a wealth of information! I have a Pentax X-5, which (from my very amateur perspective) takes some very nice shots! All the pics I've posted were taken with it. (maybe some were "extreme" clsoeups!) :)

A 1947 Kessler violin. Amazing! That alone is worth a small fortune, excellent restoration job, I thought it was new until I read your post properly!

Would it be safe to assume you play? I've always loved classical, especially movie soundtracks (mainly thanks to watching The Empire Strikes back when I was 5 :)) It's quite nice here in SA, we have a dedicated radio station called Classic FM, that broadcasts in the Johannesburg area, but they also have live streaming :) url; http://www.classicfm.co.za

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I prefer classical, and Irish jigs and Jazz. I like to play 2nd Fiddle , letting my son play first Violin, but make him play 2nd, to broaden his abilities. Learning how to fix them was an economic necessity, as being disabled has left me broke. Upside, I have some beautiful Violins, and am playing them with my son, which, him being 14, has kept one more channel of communication and "Father to Son" relationship type stuff it bearing kept alive. That's priceless!

generaldiaz

Jul 9, 2014
will definitely say that zarthos has brought something that I have to alter my last statement a little bit. what I was talking about was the run of the mill phone, I completely forget to add the exceptions that are the pocket all in one computers we call smart phones. they do have a lot of stuff features that we did not have a few years ago...like good cameras, and now limited editing software.

and that is quite a gap between Irish jigs and classical. not saying there is an issue there. I am all over the place, but I love the 2009 BSG soundtrack. it did a amazing job of blending a lot together.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Irish Jigs and Classical music allow you to use your hands in different ways. Also, Irish jigs are fun to play. Some are so sad. Some are so happy! You don't have the strictness that you have with classical, where if you don't play it a certain way, it's just considered wrong. I also like Jean-Luc Ponty. A great electric-Violinist.

I just taught myself how to play the song played at the end of "Master and Commander: The Far Side", by Bacherinni. "La Musica Noturna di Madrid". It's a blast to play, and can be played as a duet, trio, or quarter, and with a cello and guitar. This is beautiful Rendition

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Zathros, I take my hat off to you! Techie and Classical muso! :) I to love the celtic stuff, jiggs & the slower, more melodic stuff. One of my favourite celtic bands is Iona. Brilliant stuff.

That said my musical taste covers more or less everything, excluding house (techno), rap, R & B & "commercial" pop (radio play) music.

With the Father & son stuff, it's great that you have something that you both enjoy, I'm really hoping that I can get the same with my little one (turns 2 at the end of November). I just hope it's one of my hobbies :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You have to start young, keep with it, I am learning the hard way, and watch out for the the wife, as they sometimes feel excluded, proud, but excluded, and mine plays guitar too, no excuse, she just doesn't join in and then gets "pissy". Oh well. :)