Grandson and train show

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Our club just participated this past Sunday in a small local train show here in Milford, CT. Was a little apprehensive about asking to bring my 12 year old grandson to participate in all the stages of setting up the train modules, running and tear down. NO PROBLEM!, his small size and youthfull physical abilities allowed him to get under the modules and hook up all the electrical connections with no problem. I don't think there was a club member he did not assist in some way sitting up their modules with his youthfull exuberane.

Attachments

• mvc-001s.jpg
    mvc-001s.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 156

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
He played engineer with all Grandpa's trains for most of the running day. He was a very serious engineer and loved every minute of it. He was so much a help that all the club members have asked him to participate regularly. Golly - he sure made me proud.

Attachments

• mvc-005s.jpg
    mvc-005s.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 152

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bill,
At the 2001 National Train Show, it was a boy, about the same age as your grandson, who won the "chairman's award" for his module. Sounds to me like your grandson could do as well. Keep encouraging him.
Pete

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Great shots and story. I've found that kids will rise to the occasion if given the opportunity. Maybe next time he will have his own train to operate. It bodes well for the hobby, because people like you take the time to include their kids and grand kids. I for one would like to hear more about his participation, and I will be sure to share this with my boys. Thanks for a positive story in todays troubled times.

Greg Elems

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
Greg touched on a point I believe should be given greater emphasis. That is, young people, such as your grandson, when they do good things, don't get enough public recognition. You and your grandson are the kind of role models our society very much needs. Thanks for sharing.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Real nice that story, also great to see the young ones getting in on the ground floor by helping out at a train show. Well done, I do like that
Shamus

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Great story. I have a grandson just a couple of years older. He has been to a couple of National Train Shows, but I haven't really tried to get him involved. Guess maybe I should.

If this great grandpa-grandson duo wants to come to Central New York later this month, we could probably use your help at our Railfair <g>.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi Bill:
Looks like y'all had a good weekend. I'm sure seeing the positive reactions to his participation was great. Keep encouraging him to find the things about the hobby that interest him and then let him do them. Spending the time together learning from one another is time well spent.
Regards.
Ted